Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

I have a 1997 audi 2.8 A6 with no spark at the plugs, cranks

I have a 1997 audi 2.8 A6 with no spark at the plugs, cranks fine, no fault codes in memory, won't start. I have changed the crank posistion sensor and igniton reference sensor, nothing. Note: Tach does not move while cranking. Any ideas on what could be the culprit? Thanks, Roy from Houston, TX.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Based on your description, these symptoms could be consistent with a failed fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay not only powers the fuel pump, but supplies power to the Injectors and engine control module via a separate terminal. This is by far the most common reason for a no start condition without storing any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Before replacing it check ALL the fuses in the fuse panel. Labeled "fuel injection", "engine", "timing", etc.

I suggest you try replacing the relay before attempting further diagnosis. The fuel pump relay is in position #6 on the central electric relay panel. If you remove the kick panel above the driver's feet, it is the six position relay panel with the many red wires attached to studs from the bottom, labeled 30, 15, X, etc.. The fuel pump relay should be the relay all the way to the right, immediately above the wires.

Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I located and removed the fuel pump relay labeled 208 and I manually applied 12v to the coil contacts with jumper wires. The relay audibly clicks and the contacts change from normally open to closed on both the fuel pump connection and the ecu connection. I fabricated and installed a jumper harness which took the place of the relay and I could hear the fuel pump run. when I cranked the car still no spark and would not start. Any ideas as to where to proceed next?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Sorry I misplaced this contact.

Can you check fuses 72, 73 and 103 for power when cranking? The are located in the E-box at the passenger's footwell area under the carpet.

graphic

Electronic Box
1- ECM (Engine Control Module), J192
2- TOM (Transmission Control Module), J217
3- Fuse, MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor (Black), G7O
4- Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Fuse (S73)
5- Fuse, Injectors (Red), N30, N31, N32, N33, N83, N84 (S72)
6- Fuse, Ignition Coil (Yellow), J192, N, N128, N158 (S103)
7- Not used - open
8- Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor, F96
9- Not used - open

Thank You! Sorry again for the delay!

Jake

Jake, Technician