Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

All 4 power windows on my 2002 Audi A6 will go down overnight.

Customer Question

All 4 power windows on my 2002 Audi A6 will go down overnight.   Why
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing "Just Answer" for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Based on your description, I suspect a problem with the central locking control module.

The first thing I would check would be to remove any floor mat you may have on the driver's side and feel the carpet. If it's wet, you have a water intrusion issue. You should also feel the carpet in the rear as that tends to be a lower area. Usually when water is in the driver's side, it gets in through the bonded windshield seal (glue) from a improperly replaced windshield. The central locking control unit is located under the carpet immediately in front of the driver's seat. The carpet must be lifted, the box housing the controller must be removed, and the controller inspected for water intrusion. I have had luck taking the controllers apart and drying them out. But if it has been awhile it may require replacement. Also check the passenger side. The controller for the automatic transmission (if so equipped) is housed at the passenger's feet.

If water intrusion is not the issue, I suggest you take the vehicle to a repair shop that has a scanner capable of interrogating the central locking control module and checking for any stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). Further testing, diagnosis and repair would be based on any DTC(s) retrieved.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "THE AUDI DOCTOR"

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll check that out first thing in the morning. I'm sure the carpet is wet because everytime the windows go down, the car fills up with snow. Should my $3000 Snap-on scanner work on this car other than emissions?

Is there any way to get in touch with you to let you know the outcome?

Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Just get in touch with me like you just did. Just so long as you do not "close" the question. I do not think the Snap-on can get in. It's address word #35 - Cenral Locking

Thank You!

Jake

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Jake,

I pulled up the carpet and the computer was bone dry. I don't have the the $700 European card for my $3000 snap on scanner and don't see enough of those cars to justify its cost. Could it possibly be the drivers door key switch? Is there a way to disable this option? I know its impossible for you to diagnose this over a computer, but now I can only start replacing parts that could affect this, starting with the cheapest parts first. I DO thank you for your help. I would have never guessed the controller was under the carpet. Thanks again.................Jeff

Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Hello Jeff,

I feel the most likely cause would be the central locking control module under the carpet. All functions of power windows go through the controller. The "all window open" function can be activated by the door switch. Put the key in the door lock and hold it in the unlock position until the windows open.

But I just do not think this is it as I have had controllers cause this (water intrusion), but have never seen the door switch cause this. If you don't want to take the gamble on a new controller you could do a few things.

A. Check the wiring harness at the driver's door hinge area for cracked shorting wires. Pull back the boot on both sides and get a good inspection.

B. Disconnect the door switch inside the door. It will eliminate that as a possibility.

C. Get another A6 to swap controllers with.

I can not think of any more options. Let me now if you have any more questions.

Thank You!

Jake