Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

2001 a6: audi front passenger seat wont go..controls work

Customer Question

2001 a6 audi front passenger seat won't go back-- all other seat controls work, but switch will not activate the seat to move back
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

There should not be any fuses under the seat. Either a motor or switch has failed. You need to unbolt the seat to get access to the motor and check to see if you have power and ground when you activate the motor, If you do not have power and ground, the control switch will have to be replaced. If you do have power and ground the motor has failed and will require replacement.

I will be away for about an hour or so, but will return any replies at that time.

I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated! If you accept my answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do i unbolt the seat, and assuming it is a motor problem, can i just put the seat in one position, so i don't have to pay for a new motor? the switch would be much cheaper to replace than the switch, right? thanks
Expert:  Jake replied 7 years ago.

under the front, center of the seat, you will see a black, plastic, rectangular cover. Get a hold of it with your hand pull it straight up to release the tabs, then flip the top forward to release the covers. Under the center track at carpet level, you will see two 13mm head bolts going straight back into the track. Remove the bolts push the seat back a bit, then you can lift the front of the seat up. It will hinge in the rear track wheels. If you want to remove the seat, you must remove the track covers on the back end of the tracks and slide the seat out the back.

Yes, the switch is easier, cheaper, and more likely, you will just have to see when you check it out.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Be back in a couple hours.