Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Emission control system light on

2001 audi tt quattro. Emission control light came on shortly after I bought the car in Sept 07. Took into audi dealer they said a sensor was faulty but didn't take car in as light went out shortly after. Came on again about 3 months later and again disappeared after car had been driven a couple of times. Now come on again in last week - is this likely to be a glitch or should I take the car in as I don't know if I should continue to drive it. If I was in UK would just do it but live in France and my language skills aren't great.
I saw somewhere on a forum about checking for codes to see if it was a fault but don't know how to do this. Female and not to good with car things so don't laugh.......
many thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for choosing "Just Answer" for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Here is a CUSTOMER'S MIL FACT SHEET . This should help answer your questions.

WHAT IS THE CHECK ENGINE/SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT?

The check engine/service engine soon light notifies the driver of a possible emissions related problem. It is also known as a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).

The MIL can be either a steady or blinking light. A steady light indicates a fault that may cause high engine or evaporative emissions. Under certain conditions the light will blink or flash. A blinking light indicates a severe level of engine misfire that can cause expensive component damage.

WHY DO WE NEED A MIL?

The MIL is part of the on-board diagnostic (OBD) system required by EPA regulations on light-duty vehicles and light-duty trucks to monitor the vehicle's emission related components. The MIL alerts the driver of a potential problem; IT IS AN EARLY WARNING SYSTEM.

WHAT IS OBD (On Board Diagnostics)?

OBD was designed to monitor on-board computers which control many of the engine's systems, such as fuel and ignition. OBD systems were first developed in the early 1980's as cars became more computerized. The system is made up of sensors and actuators and diagnostic software. OBDII is a complex computer package installed on 1996 and newer cars and light trucks that predicts emissions and notifies the driver if there is a problem by turning on the MIL. OBDII is a self diagnostic system where fault codes indicate which components of the system may be malfunctioning by storing the codes in the computer. These stored codes are read by the auto technicians' scanning tools.

WHAT DOES OBDII DO FOR ME?

One of the benefits of the OBDII system is the possible reduction or prevention of harmful emissions and therefore improved air quality. The system is designed to alert drivers when something is wrong that may affect emissions. Early diagnosis and repair may also prevent more costly repairs on both the emission control systems and other vehicle systems and may possibly add fuel economy benefits. OBDII systems provide technicians with more information for diagnosis then ever before.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF THE MIL COMES ON?

The light informs the driver of a potential problem and a need for service. This does not indicate the need to stop the vehicle immediately. The driver should consult their vehicle

owner's manual and/or a repair shop as soon as possible. A blinking light indicates a more severe problem; you should reduce speed and/or load and seek service as soon as possible.

HOW IS THE MIL TURNED OFF?

There are several ways to turn off the MIL: (1) check to see if the gas cap is tight; if not, tighten it (the MIL may not go off immediately) - a loose cap may indicate an evaporative fuel leak; (2) have an auto technician check the system with a scan tool, perform a repair and turn off the light; or, (3) the system may turn itself off after a period of time if it no longer detects a problem.

WHY AM I CHARGED FOR DIAGNOSTIC TIME ON A SYSTEM THAT DIAGNOSES ITSELF?

OBDII only provides a "hint" or a "clue" of the problem. Diagnosis time will generally be needed to isolate the true cause of your vehicle's problem and identify the proper repair. There will be a charge for this labor.

WHAT IF THE AUTO TECHNICIAN HASN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIX THE PROBLEM AFTER SEVERAL ATTEMPTS?

There may be other problems not readily detectable. For example, the light may come on due to a software problem when there is no problem with the sensor component. This is an unusual situation, but it is still important to have the software problem fixed so OBDII can function properly and detect potential problems with the car.

DO I NEED TO GO TO A REPAIR SHOP IF THE LIGHT WAS ON AND THEN WENT OFF?

The MIL may indicate a temporary problem that may only happen once. However, if the MIL goes on again, you should go to the repair shop while the MIL is illuminated. AN ILLUMINATED MIL SHOULD NEVER BE IGNORED.

In conclusion, if you can get to a garage and simply have the vehicle's computer scanned and retrieve and record the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). When you get the DTC# XXXXX back here and let me know what the code is and I will help you with the likely cause of the condition associated with the DTC. Even if the MIL is no longer illuminated, the DTC is stored in the computer's memory for some time. Here in the states many "parts stores" have OBDII scanners and will scan your vehicle and tell you the codes for free, in hopes that you will buy the needed parts from them. I do not know however if this is true in the UK.

I do my best to provide complete, concise, intuitive answers, and more to my clients.

All "experts" are not created equal, so if you wish my level of response in the future, please request me. You can also open any future questions with "Question for Jake or The Audi Doctor"

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You! Nouvelle année heureuse!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"