Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

2001 Audi A4: The car alarm keeps going..batteries..key FOB

Customer Question

The car alarm keeps going off on my 2001 Audi A4. I receintly had to replace the batteries in the key FOB but now that works again but the alarm keeps going off. Thanks!
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

When does the alarm go off?

Are you having trouble turning it off when it does so?

What exactly is your question for me?

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It goes off anywhere between 1 to 10 min. after parking. I've watched it and nobody is near it. Pressing the key FOB will stop the alarm but it goes off again soon after. I would like to fix it or at least disable it until I can.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but I have to leave for an appointment. I thought I had enough time. I'll be back for your answer and verify payment in about an hour. I hope that is OK Thanks!
Expert:  Jake replied 5 years ago.

Alarm functions are incorporated in the central locking control module.

The central locking control module should be interrogated to determine the cause of the alarm triggering. Every trigger event should be recorded in the fault memory.

About the only thing you can do as an owner without a Audi/VW capable scanner would be first to disable the interior monitoring system. To do so after turning off the engine and opening the door, press the button on the "B" pillar (your seat belt is mounted in the "B" pillar) down near the bottom. There should be two buttons, one for the trunk opening, the other to disable the interior monitoring. Once you open the door, press the button, the little light inside the button should illuminate. Close the door and lock it. The alarm should now be set, but without the interior monitoring. If the condition no longer exists, there is a problem with the interior monitoring.

If this does NOT correct the issue you should assure all the door and hood/trunk contact switches are functioning.

For the doors check the interior lights are coming on and off with each door and not illuminating if you push out on any door (without unlatching) while in the car. Also if you lock the car with a door open, then close the door after, the alarm should give a single beep indicating the contact has closed. This won't work with the driver's door as it will not lock with the door open.

The same method will however work with the hood and trunk. You can also check the trunk switch by having someone close the trunk with you in it (possibly better to have your wife or husband inside), and push upwards to see that the illumination does not come on unless opened.

This year/model is also susceptible to water intrusion into the Central Locking / Anti-theft control module. I recommend you go into the trunk remove the panels or trim to access the right rear corner below the right tail light assembly. There you should find the control module. Inspect for water and or corrosion on the electrical connecters. Typically what happens is the seal at the taillight fails (previous collision?) and water gets in. If this is the case you may have luck taking the controller apart, drying it, and cleaning the electrical contacts. If it has been like this for awhile you may need to replace the unit. Be sure and water test the trunk before returning the vehicle to service.

If all tests good, I suggest you take the vehicle to an Audi/VW specialist who has a scanner capable of interrogating the central locking control module and checking for and retrieving any (likely many) stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). The DTCs will indicated the circuit that has triggered the alarm in all instances of alarm activation.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should require any further assistance on the matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always appreciated! If you decide to accept this answer, please click the ACCEPT button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "The Audi Doctor"

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much, I give that all a try right away! Sorry for the delay in accepting your answer but I had an appointment I had to go to. Thanks again!