Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

how can i reset the abs light ,and the breake light flashing

how can i reset the abs light ,and the breake light flashing ,
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 8 years ago.
Good day Sir,

Thank you for choosing “Just Answer” for your query. Yes, I can help you.

By far the most common cause of an illuminated ABS light along with associated beeps, is a failed ABS control unit. So common if fact that Audi has addressed the matter with a technical service bulletin and a ABS control unit "repair kit", no longer mandating replacement of the complete ABS control unit and pump assembly at about a 50% cost reduction. When this described fault arises the ABS unit can not communicate with the scanner, and blocks the data bus from communicating with the other controllers on the bus. Other times when you have communication it will store a trouble code for a communication problem with the instrument cluster. Both scenarios dictate replacement of the ABS control unit. You must have the vehicle scanned with a VW/Audi capable scanner. If the scanner can not communicate with ABS, or anything else for that matter, try disconnecting the electrical plug for the control unit (left side engine compartment, has all the metal brake lines going to it and one large electrical connector) If you can now communicate with the other controllers the ABS control unit is at fault.

I have heard of a case where a capacitance discharge corrected the condition which occurred after a battery replacement. To do so, disconnect the positive and negative cables, hold them or “jump” them together, then turn on the ignition for about 1 minuet. Turn off the key, hook the cables back on the battery and see if this has corrected the condition.

In the event that this does not describe the issue with your vehicle please respond with the retrieved code(s) and their stated definition and we can proceed from there.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT“ button by THIS answer.

Thank You!
Jake “THE AUDI DOCTOR”