Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

2002 A6 Quattro: Audi..000 miles..Torque Converter CKT Performance

I have an Audi 2002 A6 Quattro, with 47,000 miles checked E- code PO741, Torque Converter CKT Performance or stuck off, What this mean and what to do first, second & third? Thank you.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for choosing "Just Answer" for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Sorry to say, but this is a costly repair. A seal inside of the torque converter has failed. It is very common on the 2.7Ts as well as the 3.0L vehicles. The transmission must be removed in order to replace the torque converter. There is NO other way to correct this code.

Your MIL (malfunction indicator light) is on because the seal affects the torque converter lock up function which when nonfunctional can reduce your gas mileage. The illuminated MIL and corresponding trouble code stored will "fail" this vehicle for a smog or state inspection where they are required.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED! If you accept MY answer please click on the "ACCEPT" button by THIS answer.

Thank You!

Jake "THE AUDI DOCTOR"

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jake:
A mechanic friend out of state with maybe no much of experience in Audi's told me that the problem can be caused by that solenoid or a problem with the torque converter. The first thing I can do is to clean the main transmission connector with electrical contact cleaner. He said that coolant and tranny fluid can get into that connector and cause problems. For me to eliminate this first, because its easy enough.
What is your imput on this?
Expert:  Jake replied 6 years ago.

Believe me, I wish I could say that was even possible. But, unfortunatly in this case it has no possible chance of correcting the situation. Audi has come out with a service bulletin addressing the issue. My 2001 Allroad developed the dreded #17125 code about 5K miles ago and I just have not had the time or money to repair it. It's all over the net. Just Google "audi 17125" I,m sure you will come up with plenty of hits.

Sad but true.

Jake "THE AUDI DOCTOR"

Jake, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained