Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Why do my spark plugs have oil?

Over the last few weeks my 1999 Audi A4 has been stuttering and when i shut the car off and turn it back on it stops, also can smell gas but it smells like it is mixed with something else(Sweet smell).Until finaly last weekend it just stalls on me completly.I figured my sparkplugs were not igniting the gas completly which is why i got the smell and why the car was stuttering.When i did change the spark plus i saw that there was oil around the coils and on the spark plugs plus it smelled just like a sweet gas.I figure the piston rings have gone bad and now my gas is mixing with the oil.If there is anyone with a second opinion that can help i would be all ears.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 9 years ago.

Hello.

You have oil in the spark plug holes. This is due to failure of the valve cover gasket o rings that seal the holes. a valve cover gasket set will take care of that problem.

When oil gets in the holes, that causes the spark from the coils to arch. This will cause your vehicle to run rich and stutter.

You should replace the valve cover gasket, plugs, wires and any other oil soaked components.

When you remove the spark plugs, the oil will go into the cylinders. So, the vehicle might smoke for a while and be difficult to start initially. You can minimize this by using compressed air to blow the oil out of the holes before removing the plugs. When you do this, place a rag over the hole so the oil does not spray everywhere.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

I know my way around an engine but I'm used to small block V8 (American) engines.If I were to do the work myself would you be able to give me a description on how to do the work.It does not have to be detailed but simple and if i need any type of sealer for the gasket and so on?

Hi there.

I would be glad to help you out.

However, I need the engine size. Also, is the vehicle all wheel drive?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
It is a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T 2wheel drive and thank you.

Thank you.

This is actually a quite easy job.

First, remove the coils.

Next, remove the valve cover bolts.

graphic

Gently ply up the valve cover. Remove the cover off the engine.

Clean all mating surfaces to a shine being careful not to scratch the surface.

Apply black silicone sealer to the cap corners. Just a small dot not too much.

graphic

graphic

Reinstall the cover, bolts, and coils using the following torque figures.

graphic

Now, here's the trick to a good repair. Once assembled, wait a few hours (4 to 6) before you start the engine. This will let the silicone cure. This is also a good tome to change the oil and filter.

Of course, use a new gasket set. Replace the ignition coils or just the coil boots (if you can locate them).

Use only BKUR 7 ET (NGK) spark plugs. Or F6 LTCR (BOSCH). Do not use any other spark plugs as premature coil failure can occur.

Feel free to let me know if you have further questions. Thanks.