LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have seven paintings done by my grandfather, Dr. Francis,

Customer Question

I have seven paintings done by my grandfather, Dr. Fred Francis, that I would like appraised. Considering his biography, and that of my father and myself, and considering that he only painted for a short time and maybe 20 of his paintings exist, they are certainly valuable. However nobody has ever sold one of his paintings before, so it's hard to put a figure on it. He stopped painting in 1980, becoming frustrated with it because so few of his paintings he felt were good enough. He was a perfectionist, so he only signed a few, and none of these seven are among the signed ones. My father and sister are in possession of some of his signed paintings. But these are certainly in his style and certainly were done by him.Consideration must be made to the biography of the painter, in determining the value of what they created. So because you probably don't know much about him, I'll tell you some of his story. He himself had very interesting ancestors, considering ***** ***** Hickman was his great grandfather. He grew up in Salt Lake City, and as a non-mormon was happy to leave town for schooling when he could. He went to medical school, and graduated from Northwestern University in Chicago, in 1931. He lived in Chicago through the late 20's until 31 as a student. He often travelled between Chicago and Salt Lake City by train, and it was on one of those train rides that he met my grandmother. They immediately fell in love, but he had to be off again. They corresponded for several months while he was in Chicago in classes, but as soon as he had a break again he came back to Jackson Hole and they were married soon after. On the day they were married they had only actually been in each other's company a total of four days. They remained happily married until Millie's death in 1982. He did remarry after that, to Jo in 1984 and they were married until he passed in 2005.As an oral surgeon, he moved with his wife Millie to Seattle in 1931. They bought a place in Kenmore which was several acres and had three ponds on the property, which they kept stocked with fish when I was young. When World War II broke out, he had been a practicing surgeon for many years in Seattle, and had no interest in joining the army, but nevertheless, the army persisted in their efforts to convince him. The army offered to teach him to fly. And so he did learn how to fly while he was in the army, but he was never in any real danger though. He was stationed in Reykjavik through the war as an oral surgeon for the US Army. (I would later go busking in Reykjavik.) He came back and bought a seaplane, which he used to be able to travel between his house in Kenmore at the north end of Lake Washington, 1/2 mile from Kenmore Air Harbor, he could make the*****in a fraction of that time by taking his seaplane. They used to fly all over everywhere in the seaplane, and both of his sons, one of which was my father, also learned how to fly seaplanes.The painter's younger son is my father, Jim Francis. He was born in 1942, right in the middle of Dr. Fred's military service. He had a very successful career as head of Lake Union Drydock Co. in downtown Seattle for 45 years. At that facility seaplanes also land occasionally so he also ran an international airport. And his house is indeed one of the most amazing pieces of property in America. That is where the best - the signed Dr. Fred Francis paintings are displayed today. My father's house, the house my sister and I grew up in, is on a cliff overlooking Lake Washington. If you look off his deck to the right, you see Kenmore. Straight across the lake is park, and then to the left you see Kirkland in the distance. Oddly enough, my father's brother, my grandfather's eldest son, had a house high atop a cliff on the northwest side of town, in Mukilteo overlooking Puget Sound. And he had horses. Nobody in Seattle had horses back when I was a kid, but my uncle damn sure did. That house has since been sold and my uncle has sadly passed, but my aunt and cousin live on Whidbey Island from where the sea is just about almost visible, and they still have a horse.His grandson is me. And I would like to sell these for a fraction of what they're worth, because I'm very interested in doing something positive to save humanity. So I'm willing to part with these if that will earn the money I need to be successful.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 10 days ago.

This is a courtesy response to inform you that your question is visible to all the experts. If someone has an answer to provide to you, they will respond to you here on this question thread.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 10 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I have seen the photo it of the same painting. Can you post a photo of each painting and the measurements of the paintings so I can give you accurate values. I will review each painting and be able to give values and if any of them are framed please leave them in the frame and let me see the framed painting as framed is higher in value then with being framed. I look forward to helping you. Thank you

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
These vary in size, so I added a dollar bill for scale on the photos. I can give you the dimensions of each one individually on a separate email. Only two of them have been framed. The other five need frames to be displayed, which I am certainly happy to pay for. I would appreciate a professional's opinion on what sort of frames would be best for these. Note images 3 and 4 are two sides of the same painting, which I call 'Six' because it really is six paintings in one. I would like to find a way to display it such that both sides are visible.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 7 days ago.

Hello thank you for the photos I am reviewing these and will post back my evaluation when completed. Thank you Tanya

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 2 day ago.

Thank you for your patience these are truly beautiful and as you know one of a kind. After going through the providence you will want to copy this that you have written out for me above on the history to these paintings and have one copy for each painting. These are not signed however you can attest to the artist and age of these along with his biography. All will add to the pieces.

In image one = a country cottage and has a value of 450.00-500.00 framed.

image 2 = a winter scene barn/home and has a value of 500.00-550.00 framed

image 3 = an autumn scene farm & image 4= 5 smaller paintings on the same paper

to frame this would be to have it placed in a double sided glass frame= allows the viewer to see both sides and enjoy the paintings. This would be a custom framer procedure so that the paper can be mounted and preserved not to damage the paper and yet stabilize the painting to be centered and secure. The value on this would be 1200.00 if sold.

image no #= a river scene in late fall or autumn value is 650.00

image 5= seaport scene and has a value of 650.00

image 6= you have two framed winter scenes top painting has a value of 750.00, bottom painting has a value of 450.00

The values are based on his background, the quality of the paintings and the providence you have on these. They are all very well done and even unsigned you know the biography and experience of the painter.

If I may be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help you.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.