Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

Hope you had a fun-filled holiday season! I have an original

Hi Robert,Hope you had a fun-filled holiday season!I have an original art piece that I believe is done in charcoal and thick watercolor. It measures about 10 inches by 10 inches. Signature, unfortunately, is not legible to me.Can you tell who the artist is from the photos and if it has any value?Photo:
https://app.box.com/s/zdzbzlszkoa5vlwzjg8c0jmz7ovxxbk7Thanks for you help!Eugene

I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. I will forward this to the expert that you
requested to let him know a question has been posted for him.
I will opt out of this, so he can address this as soon as he signs in.

Rarewares

Hi Eugene,

Many thanks for the photos of the watercolor. What a great scene! I can't promise I'll crack the signature, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Best wishes,

Robert

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Robert,Thought I'd check if you were able to find out anything on the watercolor.Thanks as always!
Eugene

Hi Eugene,

Apologies for not responding sooner, but not for lack of researching and digging. This one is still pulling me down rabbit holes.

I do like it though, it really grows on one, an amusing and very nicely drawn sketch of local color in a Bavarian bar; great composition, expert draftsmanship and wonderful expressions -the faces remind me of those jolly tavern figures carved as wine stoppers made by Anri.

But I've drawn a blank on this artist, and believe me, I've looked. There's just not enough to go on in the signature and "Weimar Germany era tavern art" is just too broad a genre.

There's not much one can say for sure from the label on the back except that the drawing was framed in Munich in the 1920s by a Rupert Glavena

Bildereinrahmungs geschäft ("Picture framing business") and Glasermeister ("Glazier")

which suggests a Munich artist but there's no-one in any of the listings of German/Bavarian or Munich artists of note who would fit.

As a piece of genre caricature art from that period, it certainly would have some value. At auction I can see it selling for $120 - $180 at the very least and I would give it a gallery/insurance value of $400.

I wish it could tell us more, but one can have endless fun imagining the soap opera going on with those two tipsy ladies and the other bar flies.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert.

Robert S., Appraiser
Experience: 20+ years of experience in appraisals.