rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

I have the same Bohemian Czechoslovakia red set used at

Customer Question

I have the same Bohemian Czechoslovakia red set used at World Fair. Any way to get the I found on Aster? Where did he live? I have about 100 pieces or so.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 days ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. I am also not sure what you are referring to, you may have linked here from an ad on a separate site, so I need a bit more information and exactly what you are asking.

There were no photos of the piece/set that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
w.justanswer.com/appraisals/7z0d6-set-china-mark-back-says-bohemia-made.htmlThis is the hyperlink from Diana F.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I added a pic of mine below.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/appraisals/7z0d6-set-china-mark-back-says-bohemia-made.html
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Sorry, the above is the right link.
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 days ago.

I'd like to see a picture of the mark on the back of one piece as well.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
This is the bottoman of a platter and also the butter dish.
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 days ago.

This is a set of porcelain made by Bohemia Porcelain Works of Neurolau, Bohemia (Czechoslovakia)

with this particular form of their mark having been used from 1922 to 1945. The shape

of your set is a mixture of the Empire shape and the Supremacy shape; both with a courting

couple medallion inspired by the artwork of Angelika Kaufmann. The information on Aster is more of a family history pertaining to the set in the other question and is not relevant to your set.

I will stress that the 24k gold mark was a clever marketing ploy. While there is just enough gold flake in the enamel paint to allow them to add this claim on their items, there is no extractable gold on the porcelain. EVEN if there was, a person would need 1,000 plates to get $40 worth of gold, for example.

Your set of about 100 pieces would have a current value of $2500 to $3500 retail.

Keep in mind that the values for porcelain tableware have decreased since 2013, unfortunately.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
One more question, the woman referenced that a man name Aster (not a family member) bought the red set --seemingly all of it--at the World's Fair, then sold it to acdr. Or dentist. How do I five out more about Aster and how these were sold at the Fair? Is the woman who handled the other question available to loop in?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Oh, and why have prices dropedestrians since 2013?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Prices dropped*
Expert:  rarewares replied 9 days ago.

Home decor has changed from traditional to mid-century modern and

the collecting tastes have changed. In addition, now that families are unloading

the old porcelain, the market has become flooded with it and price values have dropped.

While there was a set made for the 1939 Wold's Fair, and this set was purchased by a doctor,

the design/pattern was made into 1945. There were hundreds of sets made from 1939 to 1945

in a few different colors. The set in red at the 1939 fair is already owned by the lady in the referenced question.

Your set is another set made in the same pattern by the same company.

I hope that makes it more clear.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It's funny, she is the one and only person I've found who also has it--and I've scoured the Internet. How can we know which year it was made? And regarding thecdr. Story, is it available by reference in. A book? Diana, the other appraiser seemed to be aware of the story, too. Like the other woman, I can't find the pattern anywhere on any replacement sites.
Expert:  rarewares replied 7 days ago.

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/bohsup.htm

The mark on the bottom of the set was used from 1922 to 1945, one would not know the exact year of the set.

The country of Czechoslovakia was represented at the World's Fair in New York in 1939 by this company's porcelain

with what they had available at the time. The country had just come under attack by the Nazis and were at war.

The fact that there is not a set available on the internet right now does not indicate an extra rarity, just that there is not any available right now as availability on the internet changes by the minute. Porcelain has been in decline in the past few years and individual dealers are not willing to put porcelain for sale online as another reason.

The Dr. Aster story is not in a book and is not a known story that I have ever heard other than within that family's history question. I am not allowed to comment on what another expert's response entails. I do not think your set has any connection.

I do hope that further explains the set for you. To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!