Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Looking for someone with knowledge of art, specifically by

Customer Question

Looking for someone with knowledge of art, specifically by Jean Charlot
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok so my grandparents were good friends with Jean and Zohmah, so I have years of written correspondence and personal greeting and holiday cards to my grandparents done by Jean personally
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thoughts?
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 month ago.

It is a vague rather than a specific question, so I will opt out and allow another expert

to answer. I helped you on the Charlot print that you had a few weeks ago and thought this might be

another specific piece. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well that's not helpful AT ALL ��
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 month ago.

Jean Charlot (1898 - 1979)

"Jean Charlot was born in France in the 1890's. He had Aztec ancestors and moved with his mother to Mexico after studying at the Ecole de Beaux arts in Paris and serving as an artillery officer at the end of WWI. He quickly established himself in the art community of Mexico City in the very early 1920's and befriended Diego Rivera and David Alfaro Siqueiros and Jose Orozco, main figures in the Mexican Mural movement of the early twenties that quickly spread to the USA.

Charlot and the others visited the USA and taught - mostly in New York City - the true fresco technique, which Charlot taught to the other Mexican muralists. In 1947, Jean Charlot moved his family to Colorado Springs, Colorado to take over as head of the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center Art School from which Boardman Robinson had just retired. He also taught at the private school for boys in Colorado Springs, The Fountain Valley School.

Charlot resigned over a dispute involving tenure and other differences of opinion with the administration of the Art Center. He moved to Hawaii to teach at the University and remained there for about thirty years until his death in 1979. He won many awards for his work.

He has written many scholarly essays and books and lectured and taught at a host of schools. He is the person who singlehandedly resurrected the work of Jose Guadalupe Posada, the great Mexican engraver of popular art - especially the "Day of the Dead" skeleton figures that are so well known today."

Source:
Submitted by ***** *****, October 2002

What size is your card? Is the piece original or a print?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yeah I know everything about him. Him and Zohmah were good friends with my grandparents, so what I have is YEARS and years of correspondence letters and many many personalized greeting and holiday cards, some drawn some pressed directly by Jean to my grandparents over many years not to mention multiple large pieces he signed to my grandparents over the years.

I am sorry but your question is too broad.

I will release your question so that the other pros will see it.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 month ago.

I will be happy to help with your collection, to start, what year does the correspondence begin and for how many years on does this continue? Can you please send a photo of a grouping of Christmas cards to start.

~Nora

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I just saw this message, yeah gimme like 10 mins I'll put all that together.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Just a few cards and letters back to the late 60s at least
Expert:  Nora replied 29 days ago.

Thank you for these images. How many cards do you have total and can you group them into standard printed cards, hand made cards with original drawings and hand press printed cards? So any of the typewritten letters have small 'doodles' or drawings contained in them?

~Nora

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Bunch of original drawings bunch of hand press prints, books signed to my grandparents,
Art signed to my grandparents and I'll check on the letters.
Expert:  Nora replied 29 days ago.

I sent an offer for a live phone call. It would be more effective to discuss your archive collection by phone than through typing back and forth.

~Nora

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Randomly I just found one from zohmah that says kisses to me cause I was just born lol
Expert:  Nora replied 29 days ago.

The cards are where the value is, a number count of what you have of each card and original drawings will help with assessing value.

~Nora

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Let's say at least 7 original drawings and 10 original hand presses for now. There's lots more .
Expert:  Nora replied 29 days ago.

Would you like to accept the premium services offer for a phone call?

~Nora

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Nah I don't wanna pay for that
Expert:  Nora replied 29 days ago.

Understood. As mentioned prior, this is a large scope and better handled by discussing the archive than by typing back and forth. I will opt out and open your question again to all the experts.

~Nora