twinb1201, Appraiser & Author
Experience:  25 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting; President of Association of Online Appraisers.

My mother bought a used Bush and Gerts baby grand in the mid

My mother bought a used Bush and Gerts baby grand in the mid 1960's. It has a mahogony case and was refinished and regilded before she bought it. I can't find a serial number. We have to sell it, and I would love to find someone who would appreciate owning this lovely old piano. Can you refer me to someone who might be interested? We are having a estate sale soon, and I don't have much time to find a home for it.
Thanks for any direction you can provide,
Margaret *********

Hi, thank you for your question! I have completed thousands of musical instrument appraisals and will be happy to help with yours.

We only provide appraisal services here rather than dealer or broker services. Would you like help finding a value?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
a contact who might be interested in buying it
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Will read tomorrow. Going to bed
Sorry, but again I can't provide the name of someone who might want your piano, only an appraisal. Will that work?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
That doesn't help me. I have to find a home for the piano

Hello Margaret,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

We do not provide the service of finding a customer for you, but I can tell you how best to find your own customer. Are you interested in that?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Okay. My account has already been charged, so please answer. What might be the value of this piano, and where might I find a serial number?

Hi again Margaret,

Here is some help with finding the serial number.

Once I have the serial number, I can value the piano for you.

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I have combed this piano. I can't find a serial number. Is it possible that it was removed when it was refinished? Or maybe didn't have one? It is a Bush and Gerts.

It's possible that the serial number has been removed, but it wouldn't have been done during refinishing.

The purpose of knowing the serial number is ***** it enables us to determine the age of the piano. But we know that it is at least as old as the 1960s and probably older.

Since your family has owned the piano, has it been regularly tuned? Has it had any internal restoration?

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
It has been tuned a few times, not in the last 20 years or so. Bush and Gerts stopped manufacture just before the beginning of WW!!, so it has to have been built before 1942,

Actually, the Bush and Gerts brand was manufactured by another company (Haddorff) until 1960. But, none of that matters. Any piano older than thirty years needs internal restoration.

Old pianos have no value just for being old. In other words, prospective buyers are not collecting pianos; they want to be able to play them. Pianos have parts that wear out and must be replaced, and a piano that hasn’t been regularly tuned will not hold a tuning. So, old pianos are at a disadvantage in the market.

Pianos are valued heavily on age after other factors like style, maker and condition. Age will tell you what kind of wear the piano would have mechanically. Even if the outside looks good the internal mechanisms are likely only in fair condition.

If it is in good cosmetic condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of is approximately $1,000. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $400, depending on location and actual condition.

To sell the piano, you should advertise locally - you don't want to have to ship it. You can advertise on (free), in your local newspaper or on the bulletin board of a local supermarket. You could also post a notice on the bulletin board at a music school or the music department of a local college. If none of that nets you a sale, you may want to consider donating the piano to a charitable organization.

I hope this answer has bene helpful to you, Margaret.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. Please click the five stars above and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

twinb1201, Appraiser & Author
Experience: 25 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting; President of Association of Online Appraisers.