Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum

I have a small SHM & Co KK508 Sheffield Reproduction cup

Customer Question

I have a small SHM & Co KK508 Sheffield Reproduction cup that measures 2 in tall and 2 1/2 in wide zMarked E P with an arrow head in the middle of EP. Any idea of the age and value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Script Monogram that looks like D M J purchased from an estate sale
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 27 days ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

It would really help to have two photos.

Are you able to send these?

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom. I also would like a photo of the cup.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" or "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 26 days ago.

Your cup is by the firm of Simpson, Hall, Miller & Co. of Wallingford, CT. The mark on your cup dates 1866 - 1898 when it became on of the original companies to form the International Silver Co.

The EP is a plated silver mark meaning ElectroPlated. This type of material was made by plating a layer of silver by electrolysis over a base metal usually made mostly of nickel.

Although it uses the word "Sheffield," it is not the original handmade fused silver over copper called Old Sheffield Plate made ca 1740-1860. The style of yours is a reproduction of a style used by the Georgian silversmiths.

I always dislike having to tell my customers that plated silver has dropped significantly in value in the last 20 years. Unfortunately, no matter how lovely a piece might be, if it is electroplated , it does not sell for very much.

See the following image of a plated silver cup that is for sale for $25.

My research and experience indicate that the estimated retail value of your cup would be $25- 40 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only. - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.

Or your nearest where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

I forgot to mention that the number KK508 is the designation for the pattern.

Please do not forget my need for a positive rating.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 25 days ago.

Please consider giving me a POSITIVE RATING. It is the only way I AM CREDITED BY JUST ANSWER for my knowledge, time and work.
You should see five stars. This is where you rate me.

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 23 days ago.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,