Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

Mid century Marbro Brass peacock lamp #8356 possible value?

Customer Question

Mid century Marbro Brass peacock lamp #8356 possible value ?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 3 months ago.

Mindy,

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

See the following image.

Does your lamp look like this one?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
See attached

Marbro Lamp Co. was founded by Morris Markoff and his brother - the name of the company is actually a combination of their names.
Carlin Glucksman:
"I am Morris Markoff’s eldest granddaughter. While my grandfather was the consummate salesman, Elliott, his brother was the "inside" man who could visualize the mechanical aspect. They started their business around 1935 (not 1945 as commonly misstated) at***** until they moved to 1615 S. Los Angeles Street. They came to this business after working for their uncle William who started the Rembrandt Lighting Company in Chicago (1920). My grandfather arrived in Los Angeles June 1929 to begin a new venture, and encouraged Elliott and another worker to move with him and start a new business. He started traveling around the globe in the late 40’s (I have photos of them in Europe ca. 1950) to purchase objects from manors and auctions in England, France, Italy, etc. and to set up design collaborations with specialty fabricators to provide quality components. The prices you stated are generally accurate. Quality materials, design and production are reason for maintaining and increased high value."

Many of these Holly Regency style Marbro brass lamps were made. They generally have a estimated retail value of $650-800 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

For example, It would sell for more in a larger city than it would in a smaller city.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris