Wayne, Appraiser
Experience:  Appraiser

I have an original Dzigurski oil painting, Ocean waves

Customer Question

Hello, I have an original Alexander Dzigurski oil painting
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Ocean waves crashing.. It's framed in a heavy wood frame. Seems to be about 5ft by 4 ft in size. Big
JA: Is there anything else the Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No, other than it has some water stains on the inner bevel of the painting
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising artvwork for over 40 years, and I can help you with this.
Can you post a photo of this?
Click the paperclip icon
Click the Browse icon
Click the Browse button
Select your file and click Open
Click OK
Click Insert
Click Save Changes on this page

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here are some images. My father had this in his collection when he passed away in 2013.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry, that was the thumbnail.. here is the larger image of the painting
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My dad was heavily involved in Hollywood as someone who rented the studios old cars like hearses and ambulances and other things, and it's possible he came across this painting in his dealings with the studios. I see that this exact painting was featured in the 1968 movie Once Upon a Time in the West.
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

There are several auction results for Dzigurski. The average is $2000-3000 for similar seascapes. The record prices are $8400, $6800 and another for $6800; however, these all had a dramatic Red Sky. Your painting is larger than most. A fair auction estimate would be $3000-5000. Insurance replacement value is $7500.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 months ago. you see the picture there you can see Henry Fonda looking at this very painting in the 1968 Sergio Leone movie Once Upon a Time in the West. Does the fact that this movie was featured in a film make any difference in the value as you see it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
er, this painting* was featured in a film
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also, it seems some of the paintings on that page sold for more than what you suggested, some are 11k
Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

It may add some value to the painting, it's cool that it was in the movie, but the person that would buy this is buying a work of art and not necessarily a collectible. The prices that I sited were actual public auction results. Galleries ask about double the auction or wholesale price. The insurance value that I put on your painting is the cost to replace this at an art gallery. Also galleries can ask what ever they want and most of the time prices are negotiable. I try to be realistic and conservative.

Thanks again,

Expert:  Wayne replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? It is important that you click on the stars *****. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,