twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser & Author
Experience:  28 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting; President of Association of Online Appraisers.
57035021

I have what appears to be some Egyptian artifacts, but will

Customer Question

I have what appears to be some Egyptian artifacts, but will of course have to verify their authenticity.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Am I able to send pictures?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: Nothing else I can think of, except send photos
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Items cannot be authenticated via pictures on the Internet.I can tell you how much they might be worth if they are authentic, though. Do you want to proceed?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sure that would be great

Okay! How many items do you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a few. I've had someone in my city estimated how much the attached are worth.She seemed to think it's worth some value. Looking for comparisons.

Do you have pictures of the other things as well?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That's it.

Thanks for the pictures. I'm going to do some research now. You probably won't hear from me for a while. Don't worry - I haven't forgotten you - just doing research.

The doll-like figures are called Ushabti. The ushabti was placed in tombs among the "grave goods", items meant for the deceased to take to the afterlife and were intended to act as servants or minions for the deceased, should he/she be called upon to do manual labor in the afterlife. Most ushabtis were small, and many were produced in multiples – they sometimes covered the floor around a sarcophagus.

Due to the fact that ushabtis were quite common through all Egyptian time periods, the ushabti is one of the most commonly represented objects in Egyptology displays. Produced in huge numbers, ushabtis, along with scarabs (dung beetles), are the most numerous of all ancient Egyptian antiquities to survive.

Assuming these ushabtis are ancient Egyptian and in very good condition, their current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $1,500 each. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $600 each, depending on location and actual condition.

The values are based on recent sales of comparable items.

The clay shard has minimal value because it is not a complete artifact, and the vessel it came from is not identifiable. Assuming it is an ancient Egyptian artifact, in the condition pictured, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $75. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $30, depending on location and actual condition.

Lastly, you have a clay cat. Cats were considered sacred in ancient Egyptian society. As an important animal to Egyptian society and religion, some cats were mummified after death, jut like humans.

Your clay or limestone cat, if it is an ancient Egyptian artifact and in very good condition, has a current retail (replacement or insurance) value of approximately $500. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $200, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.