Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Can somebody please give me more information about this

Customer Question

Hi! Can somebody please give me more information about this piece. This is a wooden carousel made by David Carlin in 1982. It was fully restored with artist's consent.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is Glenda,
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
.
.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
What are you wanting to know?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I wanted to know more about the details/history of this piece and the value. Is it considered as netsuke?

Hello

Is that your carousel listed on ebay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told it was a netsuke. And from an expert like you I wanted to know your thoughts about it and how will I categorize this piece of art. Thanks in advance.

Hello

Well this is not a Netsuke is a carved buttonlike ornament, especially of ivory or wood, formerly worn in Japan to suspend articles from the sash of a kimono.

What you find in more recent times are the small netsuke carved ornaments that come out of Alaska or the North West.

.

David Carlin is a known artist for carving Netsukes.

Is the Carousel marked by him?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe it is.

Hello

Does it have his signature on it? You mention restored with his permission.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
signed by Carlin and I spoke with him on it.

Hello

Did he say he made this? Wonder why he did not tell you what it was worth?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he said he made it. He guessed higher than our listed price.

Oh wow!

Ok, let me do some searching but, so far I have not seen one for sell or that has sold. But, I will check to see if there is anything comparable. I do not know Artist have very high expectations on their items. That does not mean that the average person can sell it for that or the average person will pay that.

But, I will do some searching to see what I can find.

Glenda