Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

To the Appraisers, and I have a silver bowl approximately 8

Customer Question

Good Evening to the Appraisers,
My name is***** and I have a silver bowl approximately 8 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall. The bowl was made especially for my grandparents by the Mexican workers who were employed in the AS&R silver mines in either Chihuahua or San Luis Potosi in the 1940's. This bowl was a "farewell/retirement" gift for them prior to my grandparents permanent return to the US. There appear to be some marks on the bottom, but none of us grandkids remember much about this gift other than what I have related. My grandfather was the superindendent of mining for AS&R in several mines through out Mexico from approximately 1908 to 1948. Thanks,
Jan Aronson
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 6 months ago.

Jan,

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

You are already done significant research. I will do my best to find what you need. I do have books on Mexican silver.

To give you the most accurate answer, I need the size of your bowl as well as some photos.

Please send photos of the bowl as well as clear, close-ups of the marks.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "reply to expert" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Doris!I am getting my chemo this morning, but as soon as I'm done here, I'll get home, pay tha balance and get the pics done. Thanks for everything,Jan

There certainly is no hurry.

Take care.

Best,

Doris