Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

The Polish Singers Alliance of America has a trophy that was

Customer Question

The Polish Singers Alliance of America has a trophy that was a gift of the inter-war Polish Government (1930s) which is a silver chalice of August Cardinal Hlond (uniquely the only Cardinal to have been interred by the Nazis). The chalice is embedded with coins of interest in Polish history. A photo of it appears on our website www.polishsingersalliance.org
We are curious as to an approximate value. I do have a description of the coins if that would help.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

Any sterling would be marked with silver assay marks on the bottom and it would be necessary to see those.

I would also like to know the weight of the piece to get a base knowledge of the silver value.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you and pardon my delay. The chalice is attached to a wooden base, so that the weight or markings are not visible. The total weight is about 6 lbs, but the vast majority of that is the base. I am attaching a website that shows the piece. http://www.polishsingersalliance.org/gallery.html I do not have a scanner for the official picture that we have. Here is a write-up about the piece contained in the history book of our organization:
"The Hlond Trophy was offered to the Polish Singers Alliance in 1933 by the Society for Guardianship of Polish Compatriots Abroad, a semi-official organ of the inter-war Polish government. The Trophy was a demonstration of Warsaw's policy of "cultural care." The silver cup, with a removable lid, is decorated with Polish coronation, common, and commemorative coins, each bearing the likeness of a Polish king from the 16th to the 18th century. There are also coins from the 19th century Kingdom of Poland, commemorative medallions of the Kosciuszko (1794) and January (1863) insurrections, medallions of Our Lady of Czestochowa and of Our Lady of Ostrabrama, and the order of Polonia Restituta (Poland Restored)." (Stanislaus Blejwas "The Polish Singers Alliance of America ChoralPatriotism, 2005)

Without marks and better photos, I am uncomfortable giving a value of this piece. This does not mean it cannot be done.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you. It is nothing we will ever sell. However, for purposes of insurance and possible lending to museums, it is necessary to evaluate it in some way.