Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I think I have a pretty good understanding of pottery but

Customer Question

I think I have a pretty good understanding of pottery but this piece mystifies me. I found it at Goodwill. I have searched for similar pieces and have not found anything quite like it. I do find other examples of hand molded (not spun) folded pottery but they don't even come close to the quality I see in this one. I have no idea who did it. There are what appears to be the initials JL on the bottom and the year 2003. It isn't Lambert. He signs his differently and I have not seen a folded or unspun piece of his.This was a very difficult piece to make. The glaze is phenomenal on it and there is no high gloss in the painted areas. It is not bisque but I have never seen a more even low gloss glaze on any other piece of pottery. If this artist isn't already famous he or she should be.When I took the photo of the painted area it looks like there is crack or flaw. There isn't. The photo brought it out. There is a small hole from the firing and water leached out causing what you see in the photo. I have cleaned it and there is no flaw other than the hole. There are a few more as they are very common to hand formed pottery pieces.The piece measures 10.5" tall 3.75" at the widest part of top and a little over 2" at the bottom.Anyone who knows pottery knows how hard this piece was to make. I have no idea how to price it but more importantly, I really want to know who the artist is. Can you help?
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its been a few days. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who cant place this piece..
Expert:  Dr Easton replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is***** am actually a doctor of pharmacy but also an artist and a lover of art. This is quite a magnificent piece. I am not much help but thought you might like a slight tidbit. I am not sure after looking at the marking that is in indeed a JL. It appears to possible be FL or even TL. I wish you luck and it looks like you made a great find!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for getting back. I agree, it is a magnificent piece and if the artist isn't famous, he or she should be. As you know getting an honest expert opinion is not easy when it comes to pieces like this. If anyone else is monitoring this I am offering a 15% commission on the sale of this piece if it turns out to have high value to anyone who can identify it and help me locate a buyer through Ebay or at an auction house.
Expert:  chisn1jl replied 4 months ago.

I would move this topic to the Antique category, you may get a better answer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought I was in the antique category.
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 4 months ago.
I am a moderator for this topic and apologize for the confusion- your question is indeed posted in the Appraisals/Antiques category but we also added it to the broader category of General research as you had not received an answer yet. Unfortunately we can not guarantee or predict responses or response time, but your question has been open to all the relevant Experts and I have added additional time so the page will remain open a few more days just in case an Expert may be able to provide further information on the item. Thank you.
Best,
Angela
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello

I cannot tell you who made any of this, the planter marked with the star was made in Japan in the 40's but, no one knows who the mark belongs to. The Tea Cup made in China in the 80's.

Is the Vase Marked and what size is it and the planter?

This whole reply on this question was a mistake it was intended for a different question.

Hello

I am sorry it got posted to this question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I really am at a loss as to who I can take this to. It is an extremely well done piece. If the artist is not known it may be a fluke and I have no idea how to value it. If it the artist is known it will have a market value. The key here is identifying the artist if possible. I acquired it at Good Will in Mt Pleasant SC. Since this is a destination area for the wealthy, it could be from anywhere. Knowing the year helps and hopefully so will the initials. I can't believe someone took it to Good Will when it looks like it should be in a museum but stranger things have happened.