Appraiser JM
Appraiser JM, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I'm not sure if this is the right category to post this

Customer Question

I'm not sure if this is the right category to post this or if it should go under Antiques as a general spot.I have a Ransom! poster that is marked 56/49 from 1955. It looks to be original since the writing at the bottom looks to be hand done and it was folded. I believe that was normal for that time before they rolled them.Size: 27x40Would like to know what you can tell me about this and possibly answer the following questions:
-What does the 56/49 mean?
-Is this rare?
-Was it in a movie theater lobby that was supposed to get returned to the production company and never did?
-Is it an original first issue movie poster?
-How much is this worth?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

I cannot answer all the things you want to know, some things are just not possible because that information was not or is not accessible. Not everything is known. For instance the numbers, there is no way to know what that means. Since normally if a print is made and limited they are numbered with the 1/500 or whatever the number may be from the amount of prints made. 56/49 does not seem to mean that. So there is no way to know what that means.

I cannot tell you if this is an original because there is no information of how many were made, and if this was copied later down the years, the only way to know the age of this for certain is to look at it in person, we cannot tell age online.

I do not believe this is rare as I have seen this poster before in an auction. So there is more then the one you have. There would have been one for each movie theater that was around in the 50's. They would have sent this to each one of them all across the United States. Movie theaters did not return these, they normally threw them away.

The only thing I can do is tell you what this is worth on the current market.

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Glenda - Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understand that not everything is known. However, I am looking for a little more detail. We do a lot of our own research but this one is one that needs to be in someone else's hands so we can learn from someone's expertise. Is there a way to open this question back up to another appraiser? I'm sure there can be a little more information shared from someone that has more insight? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Hello
.
Please note I am unable to do live phone conversations. I will not send a message to you asking for a phone call. If you get a message asking to do a phone call, this is not from me. It is an automated message from elsewhere.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling antiques as well as art, on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.

No problem, good luck

Glenda

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you so much Glenda!
Expert:  Appraiser JM replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

This is an original poster from 1955/1956, that would have been issued to the theaters. Yes, folding was quite normal at the time.

The writing on the bottom

Either this wasn't returned to the movie company, or it was and was held by an employee. These theater display posters found their way into collections and onto the market in many ways. The 56/49 is a publisher's number, indicating the date of the film (56) and an internal ID number for the film/poster (49).

Unfortunately, this isn't a very valuable movie poster. Here's a sale from 2008:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/9083142.html

And this copy went unsold with a starting bid of $35

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/14737404_glenn-ford-1956-ransom-movie-poster

I'm sorry for any disappointment regarding value, and please let me know if I can help further.

Jennifer