LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I'm interested in the age of my vitanola phonograph, It

Customer Question

I'm interested in the age of my vitanola phonograph
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It works and has a nameplate. Model 36 serial B68475
JA: Is there anything else the Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I'm not sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text Message + Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Can you post a photo fo the phonograph fro review and also does it work? You may post photos within our post here by clicking on the file upload and following the prompts or by sending by email to***@******.*** and in the email please put "forCustomerquot; so they will forward them on to me. Please let me know so I may watch for the photos.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It works and sounds great especially for its condition

thank you so much for the photos. I will research this now and post back here within our post. It does look great. Nice piece.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The exterior appears to have been painted a greenish color quite some time ago then attempted to be removed. Minor wear and damage.

yes, for the age it is in good condition.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I also took it apart for cleaning and to inspect for damage. Should it help you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any history and especially the age (even approximate) of this model is my main curiosity. Value (if any) as well.

Hello, thank you for your patience this has been interesting to find information on. There is little on the Vita-nola Company.

Here is an ad http://mtr.arcade-museum.com/MTR-1918-67-24/MTR-1918-67-24-137.pdf

from 1918. The types here in this ad are up to type 17

what is interesting is I was able to find another ad in the Antique Phonograph Society

http://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talking-machines-r-j-wakeman/

writing to the society I was able to find this one you own was produced in 1922 and sold for 120.00 originally today these have a value of 900.00 if in pristine condition. Having shown them the photo of the one you have overall it is valued at 600.00 as the case is in great condition for the age and it does work with great sound you stated. The green paint you mentioned is the original paint for this model.

It was one that I had heard little of so it did take time to secure the information I have been able to find on this one.

Thank you for your patience and allowing me time to secure the information you wanted.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all question.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did the day what originally covered the "speaker"?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did they say what originally covered the "speaker"?

The speaker area was covered with a thick fabric and detailed wooden carving over the material that fit completely over the speaker area. It was hand carved as the decor on the legs and side up by the top on both sides. These were detailed for beauty as well as exquisite sound to hear the record that played. They were built to last as they were expected to be handed down for families generations to come. The parts are hard to come by but you can find the machines not in good shape yet salvage original parts from those to maintain yours that may just need a piece here and there.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there anything "special" about the Vitanola line or is this just an average talking machine?

The Vita-nola Talking Machine was one that was special in the sense that it was one of the very first ones. Rca was producing them however the sound was not as perfected as in the Vitanola machines. RCA had let the patent lapse and many companies popped up perfecting the sound and style patenting their brands while RCA scrambled to reapply.

If there is anything further I can help you with please let me know as I am always happy to help anytime.