Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Is this Salvador Dali lithograph genuine or a forgery? I

Customer Question

Hi, is this Salvador Dali lithograph genuine or a forgery? I have read so many conflicting articles. More key, I do not have access to a catalogue of Dali's lithos. The litho that I have is "The Horseman of Death" from his 1934-35 painting. It is signed in pencil. I got it at an auction in Sonoma County, CA. This item measures about 20” x 26”. Photos are attached below.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

I believe I addressed this on your previous question. It does appear to be Authentic Dali Lithograph. If you are concerned this is not the real thing then you should take it to a Fine Art Appraiser that specializes in Dali to have it authenticated. This image you uploaded does match all the Dali's The Horseman of Death, that have been sold. Dali's made a lot of prints he also authorized others to print his work, he also signed a lot of prints he did and those others printed. He did all of this in order to make money. He was very much into making money! He was an Alcoholic, he did a lot of things he was not aware he did. He also authorized a lot he was not aware he did. That is the hardest part of buying and selling any Dali works.

The absolute only way to know for sure if anything signed by Dali is a complete genuine Dali is to have it looked at in person, so it can be inspected by a person who specializes in Dali.

If I can answer any more questions let me know.

As appraisers we do not work for the Just Answer Site. We are independent appraisers who are verified to answer questions for the Just Answer site.
The only way we are compensated for our time, is by the rating you give. You must click one of the stars
( or rate expert ) in order for us to be compensated for answering your question. If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
:) ( smiles )
Please keep in mind if another expert answers behind me and you are happy with my answer, please make sure to click the rating for me! It may appear confusing since their answer would come in to your email after mine does.