Wayne, Appraiser
Experience:  Appraiser
67223111

Original oil painting dated 1938. It is a copy of Rembrant's

Customer Question

Original oil painting dated 1938. It is a copy of Rembrant's self portrait. On the back of the canvas is two imprints from the Metropolitan Museum of art. One says "Metropolitan Museum Of Art-Permit to copy-19 AP 38. The second one says Copy from original, The Metropolitan Museum of Art. 22 Ap 38. The painting measures 31 inches tall and 26 1/2 inches wide. It is in it's original frame.The signature of the artist is on the lower left corner and as best I can tell it appears to be T. Kesh... I am attaching , as best I can, pictures of the front and back.
Can you help me determine its market value and advise me as to where I can go to sell it. Thank you so much in advance. I can be reached at ************* or be phone at ***************
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no photos that came with your inquiry.

The next step would be for me to see pictures of the piece,
signatures if any and back of piece for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Rarewares, The instructions are unclear. It notified me you were unable to speak with me this AM but did not indicate whether I needed to try and reschedule or whether you would be returning my request for a call at a later time. I am grateful for your help and do not want to seem overbearing. I also do not know if you received the pictures. Thank you in advance. DL

I am sorry that the instructions are not clear. The phone service was a pop-up from the site and was not initiated by me.

I will be able to assess your item with photos, but there are none here.

You can use the Add Files feature to add them one at a time or you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (a few hours) .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear rareware, I sent pictures yesterday via e-mail. I would appreciate it if you would confirm that you received them. Thank you in advance. D.L. I can be reached at: ********@**********.*** or (***) ***-****

I have not received photos yet. Please do contact customer service and ask them to forward to me, thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear rareware, Attached are pictures of my Rembrant painting.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear rarewares, Pictures were sent to both your e-mail and to justanswer.com. I hope you have finally received them. Dl
********@**********.*** or (***) ***-****

The photos are here. I will have to opt-out as I am not able to find an accurate value for this piece. The expert will see the photos and our conversation.

Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising art work for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. This was stamped on the back by the Met. This allowed students to copy works in their collection. Here is a link to the original.

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/437397

This is by an unlisted artist most likely a student. It would have value as a decorative painting $300-500.

Thanks,

Expert:  Wayne replied 5 months ago.

Is there anything else I can tell you about this? If not please take time to rate my service, click on the stars. This is the way justanswer compensates me for my time and efforts without additional cost to you. It has been a pleasure working with you.
Thanks again,