Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a signed Art Deco (I believe) dinning table (with

Customer Question

I have a signed Art Deco (I believe) dinning table (with leaf), buffet and six dinning chairs from a Frank Newman. From my understanding, Frank Newman was a custom furniture maker and store in San Francisco in the early 1930's that is noted in the book:
"Eichler: Modernism Rebuilds the American Dream" by ***** *****, Marty Arbunish, Ernest Braun, 2002:
The book states: "Eichler had relied on Frank Newman's Furniture store on Mission Street, San Francisco, the only furniture store in the city that sold contemporary furniture. Their stock, mostly danish modern - served to supply Eichler with a look that was a step up from the ordinary. Eichler employed Newman's own in house designers to outfit the models in exchange for commercial endorsement".
I have worked professionally in the commercial office furniture business for a company that specializes in veneer casegoods for 20 years and recognized the craftsmanship of the pieces immediately from the ad on Craigslist - giving these beautiful pieces away.
Not only am I looking for an appraisal, I am looking for a qualified refurbisher to assist with the dinning table and chairs for my home. The buffet is in excellent condition.
Can you please point me in the right direction? I live in Long Beach, CA.
Thank You!
Amy Winder-Casal
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 5 months ago.

Please send images of the chairs and buffet along with the Newman mark on it. As well, are you citing Eichler here because you feel your set was designed by Eichler?

~Nora