Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017

We have art from Sills Gallery bought in 1980's ... will all

Customer Question

We have art from Robert Sills Gallery bought in 1980's ... will all auction art bought from them be 'suspect'? Will there be any way to know if anything we have is a legit piece? We live in Ramona, CA. what do appraisals cost? Must it all be taken down and brought to you? Sylvia
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Appraiser. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Will you be addressing my other questions? SMc
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Appraiser should know?
Customer: I've been told art purchased from Robert Sills Gallery and Auction House is all suspect - there have been lawsuits. How does an appraiser know the difference?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

Do you think you are talking to the Antique Roadshow?

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Artworks from Robert Sills Galleries are all actual real oil paintings by primarily unlisted artists. They not fakes or reproductions per se; the issue on the market is that the artists who painted the vast majority of the works sold through them just did not become famous or take-off on the secondary market (i.e. sell for profit). These sell primarily for decorative wall art purposes and they are not collected for fine art investment purposes. If you bought them direct from the Sills Galleries in 1980's, then the realistic expectation is that they will likely re-sell now for less than what was paid for them in the 1980s.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.