Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

We have a painting signed by one Sonia Avakian and are

Customer Question

We have a painting signed by one Sonia Avakian and are interested in knowing more about her. We have found very little except for one painting by her in a collection in Illinois. I understand that she was a diplomat of some sort but beyond that we know nothing. We were told that the painting may be valuable but without knowing anything about her it is just a curiosity. Can you tell us more?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure what information you have on her, there is very little out there that is accessible. I did find this:

Sonia (Avakian) Sahagian, 82, of Auburn, passed away Sunday, October 7th, 2012 at the UMass Medical Center, University Campus, in Worcester after an extended illness.
Sonia was born in Chicago, the daughter of Michael and Seranoush (Tosoonian) Avakian. She was educated in Chicago schools and lived there for many years, working in advertising.

Sonia was a strong woman who was proud of her Armenian heritage. She was an ardent supporter of many Armenian causes, including the Armenian Heritage Park in Boston, the Armenian Milk Fund, the Armenian Assembly, and the Armenian Apostolic Church, to which she was a lifelong member.

She was a member of the Armenian Relief Society, the Worcester Foundation Auxiliary, the Order of the Eastern Star (Pakachoag Chapter), the Worcester Historical Society, and the Auburn Women's Club; she was also a charter member of the Armenian Renaissance Association and served on their National Executive Council. She volunteered at Hahnemann Hospital in Worcester for several years. Sonia enjoyed extensive world travel

If you can send a whole picture of the painting, I can value that for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe I attached two pictures, one if the painting and one of the signature. See attached. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
See also: believe we are talking about different artists.

We must be, I have only found the two women, Sonia Avakian-Bedrossian and the one I sent the information on.

She is most likely a local artist that sold only in her area, such as at Art Shows, and Art Guilds etc.

There is no listing in the Art Data Bases we can access for her.

The painting can be valued for what it is if you like?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I would like to know more about this artist first, what other works she has, so on and so forth. We are not as interested in the intrinsic value so much as we are the sorry behind the artist. We were told the painting was valuable but we want to know why it is supposedly so. We have also contacted the Richard Norton Gallery to see if they have any more information, and I have a friend (Kristina Starowitz) who is quite knowledgeable on such things. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any more information from this website than I did from my own Google search, but I do appreciate the effort. If you do learn anything more I would be interested.

I am sorry but, I am going to have to opt out. I cannot find any information on what you are wanting.