rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques and collectibles

We are thinking of purchasing an original Tarkay painting

Customer Question

Hello, we are thinking of purchasing an original Tarkay painting (acrylic on canvas) but were wondering the value as we'd be purchasing this for eventual resale.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: There is a certificate of authenticity from the seller, as well as an original certificate from the original sales manager (I believe they said it was Perry or something).
JA: Anything else I can tell the Appraiser before I connect you two?
Customer: No, I think thats all. Thanks.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appraiser about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rusufdavi replied 6 months ago.
HelloThank you for making your question to JustAnswer. My name is*****'m an Antiques Expert and I will try to help you with your particular inquiry. Please, don't hesitate to contact me any time or to make follow up questions if needed. Could you provide the size and type of painting? If it's possible, could you also tell me the title of the piece? Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Robert, it is an original acrylic on canvas and measures 18"x22". It is untitled.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there any other information you need to asses the value? Like a photo of the picture? We need to make a decision on the purchase by tomorrow, so any input you could provide asap would be much appreciated. Thank.
Itzchak Tarkay (1935-2012). Tarkay is especially known for his scenes of women at leisure, and his strong vibrant palette. His subjects of café scenes recall Impressionism, while his colors and abstraction hark to post-Impressionism and Expressionism. Tarkay was born on the Yugoslav-Hungarian border and survived WW II in a concentration camp for a year at the age of 9. His family eventually emigrated to Israel. He has exhibited around the globe. Regarding the value of the painting, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of the painting. This is the only way to know the exact value.The value will be in the range of 10,000-16,000$. Please, use the stars to rate my answer or let me know if I can help you any further!