Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

Have a bottle of Eagle Rare 101 Proof Bourbon(unopened) with

Customer Question

Have a bottle of Eagle Rare 101 Proof Bourbon(unopened) with the original seal #205LR in the original wood crate. Value??
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls.
I give my best answers in writing when I have time to think about them.
Sometimes a "Chat box" will pop-up asking if you would like a live conversation. Please know it is not from me.

Thank you for the information.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within an hour.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have spoken with my local liquor experts and they tell me that 205LR is probably the barrel number.

I am trying to find out what year that represents. It certainly does not mean before 1975 because that is when Eagle Rare was first introduced for sale. I still have more experts to contact.

Often, there are numbers on the bottom of the bottle that tell the year/date the bottle was made. That would give us a clue to age.

Is it possible for you to see those numbers and relay them to me?

It also would be helpful to have the tax number, especially if it is dated.

Other information that would be helpful to know -

What size is the bottle labeled?

Does your bottle label indicate that it is 10 year or 17 year?

This is a lot of information to gather I realize; but, all the info you can give me goes to value you bottle properly.

I thank again for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have contacted the Buffalo Trace Distillery in Frankfort, KY. This is the primary source for information about Eagle Rare. I need to pin down the year before I can give value.

I have phoned them and only gotten the gift shop to answer. I then emailed them. I probably will not hear back until Monday. Again, I am looking for date. They should be able to give us that.

Kind regards,

Doris

I just found out that the distillery is closed today for the Easter holidays as it was on Friday.

A representative will call me tomorrow.

We are almost there!

In the meantime, if you see any information on the bottle bottom (do not remove from the sealed crate if the crate is sealed) , please let me know.

Kind regards,

Doris

The distillery called me back today.

The representative said they were going to need photos.

Any details you can give would help as well.

For example, when and how you acquired the bourbon.

Unfortunately, the seal number 205LR you gave does not help then to identify the date/value.

Please know that I will not forget to check with you with updates as I get them.

This is the way to send photos.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "attach file" or "add file" link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Doris,Here is some of the info you were requesting, hopefully this helps.The bottle indicates the following: 10 years, 101 proof, 750ml (25.4 fl oz) Distilled by Old Prentice Distillery. Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.The numbers on the bottom are: 19 (the 19 is underlined) E-2589A (the A has what appears to be an anchor merged with it?) D-128The circumference of the bottle has the following: 9 3 81 which i take to be the production or bottling date.Let me know if this helps at all. Also, the
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ignore the "also, the"

Let me see if I can get any further information from the distillery consumer department.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Doris, much appreciated

You are welcome.

I emailed them your addition information.

Kind regards,

Doris

Dear Sir,

This email below is the last communication I just received from the distillery.

I am going to step aside and let you communicate with their representative directly. I feel you will get your correct answer more quickly.

As you can see, the representative is named Alan Tenniswood. His email address is

***@******.*** (I am going to send this email address in the following attachment image in case the site blocks the email address.)

"Hi Doris,

I believe those numbers on the bottom of the bottle indicate when the bottle design was approved 9-3-81, which makes sense because that is when we changed the size of the bottle from quarts to metric sizes.

Any chance you can send me some photos? That might help me put a date on it."

Alan Tenniswood

Consumer Affairs Associate

113 Great Buffalo Trace

Frankfort, KY 40601

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

http://www.drinksplanet.com/i-have-a-bottle-of-eagle-rare-101-in-a-wooden-box-that-i-have-had-since-198...-92730.html

This may be your bottle? The price quoted is $250 but I feel it best that you hear the price directly from the distillery.

Kind regards,

Doris

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris