twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser & Author
Experience:  25 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting; President of Association of Online Appraisers.
57035021

I have two Authentic Japanese POW hand painted handkerchiefs

Customer Question

I have two Authentic Japanese POW hand painted handkerchiefs and would like to know their value?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 8 months ago.

Hi Barb,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

Currently, Japanese World War II collectibles are less valuable than German or American ones.

Assuming these handkerchiefs are indeed authentic, and assuming that you could prove that to a potential buyer, and assuming they are in excellent condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of these items is $100 each. If you were to sell them, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $40 each, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Barb.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Judith,
Very surprised beings there are none around, at least that I was able to dig up on the internet. Were you able to determine meaning of Japanese writing on the one handkerchief? I'd be interested in further detail.
Thank you,
Barb

HI Barb,

There are many examples of hand painted fabric items made by Japanese POWs.

I'm sorry - I don't read Japanese. But, you might want to contact The Asia Society on Park Avenue in New York. They may be able to help you, or connect you with someone who can. http://asiasociety.org

Currently, among World War II collectibles, Japanese material is at the bottom of the desirability list.

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.