Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I am trying to identify an artist's signature. Can you help

Customer Question

I am trying to identify an artist's signature. Can you help me? I am told the picture is a steel engraving. It is a picture of a Shepard in a wooded area with a pond, dog and sheep. It was given to my parents as a wedding gift from my grandparents in around 1942. Printed above the artists name it says Imp. Ad/Valcke Paris.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only one picture that came with your original inquiry and it was the signature.

The next step would be for me to see pictures of the etching so that I can get visual clues of the date and value.

Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures and I will be able to complete my answer, thank you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am adding the picture now. I had to try and re-shoot it as it is covered in glass and there was a lot of reflection. Also, it is in it's original frame. Please let me know if you can see it properly. I have taken it off the wall and am attempting to take a better picture.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you receive the picture?

yes, give me a bit to research for you and write an answer.

I am unable to decipher the signature or match it with the art. Hope is not lost, however, I am going to opt-out and let another expert take this question. They will see the same photos that you have already provided.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. Any idea when I will hear from someone?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi. I haven't heard from anyone and it has been over 24 hours.
Expert:  Appraiser JM replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is Jennifer.

I tried several days ago to help you with this. Unfortunately, with the way the signature is cut off by the mat, it's just impossible to read.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The signature does not appear to be cut off by the mat. Are you familiar with the
"Imp Ad Valcke Paris" that appears above the signature?

I've looked extensively, and that inscription isn't helpful.

The very bottom of the signature is cut off, which means we can't do image matching on it.

Jennifer