Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Expert
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have the New Testament Douay Version from 1918 in

Customer Question

I have the New Testament Douay Version from 1918 in excellent condition. It was printed for the Army and Navy Edition. What is the current price for this antique bible.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have the New Testament Douay Version from 1918 in excellent condition. It was printed for the Army and Navy Edition. What is the current price for this antique bible.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I wish to sell this on Ebay and wanted to know the current market value for this bible. It is still in good condition with all pages in tact, stitched and bound by strings. The cover is cloth woven and the name, etc. form is blank on the first page. It appears to be in new condition and not owned by any army/navy personnel.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Antiques Appraiser about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing us. My name is ***** ***** I would be glad to help.

.

The Douay bible goes back to the late 1500s. It's actually the oldest Roman Catholic bible translated into English. Most of the early 20th century army and navy editions of Douay's version were produced by The National Catholic War Council for the Chaplain's Aid Association. They were one of the smaller, pocket style bibles that were handed out to soldiers during World War I, which was a trend going all the back to the 1600s. One of the earliest Cromwell's bible that was given out to English soldiers. This one is a kind of neat because it's covered in cloth similar to the colors worn by servicemen at the time.

.

The one downside is that there were tons of these printed and handed out, so it's not real rare. Technically it's not quite a true antique yet. That takes 100 years, but it's very close.

.

It's a bit uncommon to find one in excellent condition. Most of these were carried by soldiers, so they tend to show signs of wear, writings on the cover or in the margins and even damage. If it looks that good, it could very well be that it's an "unissued copy", meaning it was never given to a soldier. While the bibles aren't extremely expensive just because of how many of these were printed, the fact that yours would be considered to be in excellent to near mint condition.

.

Based on my records of past sales with antique booksellers and current listings, it should have a current market value in the range of $60 to $85 for a copy in very good to excellent (solid cover, no tears, no major stains, etc). Yours would likely fall in the higher end of that range.

.

I really wish I could say it was worth a whole lot more right now. That's not to say the value won't go up as these older copies get harder to come by, especially if it's in good shape because many have not held up over time.

.

Since you are thinking about selling it and if you're interested in sites other than Ebay, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles' Marketplace and even Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales. Ebay isn't bad and it does reach a lot of potential customers, but most prices there tend to fall a little lower than what you may be able to get somewhere else.
.
You can also check into: ***** ***** Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of three, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.
.

If there's anything else I can do, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you.I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great day.
.
~Diana

Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

Just dropping a note to let you know it was a pleasure working for you and to see if there is anything else you might need?
.

If there's a problem with my answer, I'll be happy to address any concerns you have. Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively.If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.
If you've already rated it, thank you very much and feel free to let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Thanks!
~Diana