Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have two rare 1940s U.S. Navy master-at-arms badges,

Customer Question

I have two rare 1940s U.S. Navy master-at-arms badges, likely jeweler made, and I can't find answers to the marks on the back of these badges, photos have been posted here:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/179985-navy-master-at-arms-maa-badge?in=user
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
additional photos:
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm writing a book on the use of law enforcement style badges by the USN and I am an expert on the use of USN master-at-arms and police petty officer badges, and it's possible these two were produced in the late 1930s, say 1937-1943 span.
My shortcoming is base material utilization, chrome, nickel, other plating materials, and any jewelry related markings.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any suggestions on finding an expert?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm looking for a jewelry mark expert, not a law enforcement badge expert.
Does anyone agree with my belief that these two badges were jeweler produced?
Thanks.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

There does not seem to be an expert that is familiar with the marks. This is why this has not been picked up. I have been out with back surgery, just on a short time starting today, I happen to see how long this was on the board, thought I might make a suggestion to you. I would take this to a jewelry store that sells estate jewelry, they will have many books on older pieces where they possibly can look this mark up to tell you who made it. You can find them in the phone book or by google, just make sure to look for Estate Jewelry.

Glenda

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, Glenda.
Hope you're healing well.
My recent searching has uncovered two more "Y.T.K." silver pieces.
One is an art deco flower vase, likely from the late 1930s, and the second piece is a silver engraved napkin holder associated with a sailor whose ship, the USS Northhampton, was ported in the Los Angeles area in the late 1930s and ported in Honolulu in early 1941. I'm convinced the Navy Master-At-Arms (police) badge is jeweler made (if the two pieces mentioned above can be called jewelry?), and was produced prior to Dec. 7, 1941.The other badge mark seems to be more difficult to identify. Maker mark? Purity mark? Asian looking? I'm can't say, but the two badges are rare for military usage pieces. Not so rare, but still valuable, if they were civilian law enforcement pieces.Thanks for answering.
Get well.
-***** *****, Chattanooga, Tennessee
SCPO, USNR(ret)

Hi Dan

An Estate Jeweler would have the information on the silver also. They keep a lot of price guides and informational books. I did a quick search in my books for YTK nothing shows up.

Glenda