twinb1201
twinb1201, Appraiser & Author
Experience:  25 years of appraisal experience. Author of 3 books on collecting; President of Association of Online Appraisers.
57035021

On Nov 8, 2008, at the Santa Fe Art Auction, I bought a

Customer Question

On Nov 8, 2008, at the Santa Fe Art Auction, I bought a 3-Figure Study by Olive Rush [framed 11"x10", graphite and colored pencil on paper, signed]. I am interested in donating the piece to the Santa Fe Friends Meeting, which inherited Olive Rush's house and has a number of her works hanging there. Hammer $500, total $647.63. How can I inexpensively determine the value, for income tax purposes?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer:***@******.*** Santa Fe, NM
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appraisers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  twinb1201 replied 9 months ago.

hello,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

The tax deduction for art is based on the fair market (private sale or auction) value of the artwork. Since the fair market value of your drawing is $647.63, that is the amount the IRS will use to determine your deduction for the donation.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about this item. I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you.