Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

Could you please translate and identify the origin and

Customer Question

Could you please translate and identify the origin and artist or date ( depending on what these characters mean) of this vintage Asian embroidery? The embroidery is in silk , framed in rosewood with Asian style brass hanger. The flower petals seem to be "puff" embroidery ( 3D)
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Tina,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your pretty Chinese embroidery picture.

I'm sorry it's taken a little while for your question to find me but now that it has, I'll give it my full and prompt attention.

The composition shows a wonderful flowering branch of a tulip magnolia, both in bud and in full flower, a tree that always comes into full bloom before the leaves appear and in the Oriental tradition is known as "the flower that welcomes the Spring". In addition, like the more prevalent peony, it represents female beauty.

From the style and the type of frame and shadow box it dates to the 1960s or 1970s.

The inscription in gold reads:

Which translates as "Great Weath and Prosperity"

A common motto found all over the Chinese decorative arts and especially on these floral compositions.

It's an example of Chinese su or Suzhou silk embroidery, or silk thread painting, and a specialty of the Suzhou region that goes back thousands of years, which is where I'm sure your piece originates. This silk embroidery painting is also known as su xiu.

Su Xiu are always crafted in silk or satin (for strength and durability) and intricately and expertly stitched. Here's a great article on the craft that you may find interesting.

As for value, these paintings don't have a significant following of collectors yet, so they are not that expensive here in the west. This may change now that all things Chinese are so sought after by the Chinese themselves, but for the time being, if you saw this picture for sale in an Asian antique store, it would have a full retail price tag of about $200. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

Expect to get in the range of 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line (eBay etc).

I do hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert

PS. If there's anything more I can help you with on this, please don't hesitate to ask. If not, could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. And if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line. Thanks, R.