Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

My name is ***** ***** and I've recently inherited an old

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** and I've recently inherited an old house. There is a significant amount of resources left in the house and I specifically want to get some tile appraised.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The tile is from the American Ecaustic Tile company in Lansdale Pennsylvania. It is in perfect condition and some of it is still sealed in the original box from 1944. I've seen people selling similar tile online for about 300.00 per 20 tile batch. I know it depends on the tile but I'm looking for a very, very loose estimate based on my volume.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Antique Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm willing to pay a rate you deem necessary based on the general advise of what ballpark I
m in based on the photos and any additional information you need from me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
A lot of the tile is vintage mosaic tile from the janesville ohio company that closed in 74. There's about 500 pieces of that.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Are you still seeking assistance on this question?

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've had a hard time finding someone who can look at the front and back of the tile and tell me the approximate year or at least decade. I have a certificate of authenticity from the Zanesville Ohio company that became the American Encaustic Tile company. What I'm looking for is to have the tile appraised (loosely) just enough to know if I'm dealing with anything someone might find valuable to do a vintage bathroom with or whatever. Some of the boxes are sealed from the original manufacturer as well so maybe there are foundations that are into this sort of thing...I don't know.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

If you can please let me know an approximate number of tile you have, I can help establish the value. As well, photos of the tile and certificate will be very helpful.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. There's over 5,000 pieces of it so I'm working on cataloguing it all today. When I get everything ready I will upload the photos and we can have a paid call.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Okay, thank you for the update.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here's one example as well as some photos of the full find... A 600 count of a tile that appears to be at least 20 years old. I have about 20 varieties of tile that range from what seems like about 15 years old and as many as possibly 40 years old. I'm trying to verify the year on at least some of this and it's corresponding value based on the volume. The condition on these are still in the box. In some cases, unopened. As to the full find. I know the room looks moldy but it isn't. I just had the mold remediated from the whole house and the tiles are in perfect condition - only several in the photo are still very dirty. I willing to pay per hour to have the whole lot evaluated if there seems to be any value in doing so.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright. If you end up believing you can give me an answer with some accuracy I'm willing to pay for it. Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I will let you know.

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Alright well this line of questioning is open to anyone who has some insight. I will pay for the time.
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Your question has been open and available to all the experts. I see you are still awaiting a response. It really would not be necessary for you to hire an appraiser to come in to the home and assess the tiles, unless it is a real property or real estate appraiser and the value gets tied into the home or property value. A personal property appraiser assesses objects. The comparables you have found online for $300 for a batch of 20 may be an asking price or a more decorative and earlier dating tile. Bear in mind that an asking price and an actual sale price can be vastly different. In the database of past auction sale records that I use, the high sale prices for encaustic tiles are those with decorative floral or figural motifs from the early 20th century. The type color tiles you have are selling for an average of 50 cents to $1.50 per tile in auction lots.

~Nora