Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

My wife & I purchased this Philippine Acacia set from a

Customer Question

My wife & I purchased this Philippine Acacia Wood set from a military family in Mountain Home, Idaho in the late 70’s or very early 80’s. I have researched the history as best I am able. I was wondering if you would be able, or willing, to give us a professional value appraisal? We are also very interested in knowing if you had any additional information on its history, or origin? I have lots of other pictures available, but you would most likely desire to view it in person. If you are not able to do this can you recommend an individual for us? You may forward it if you like if that is OK with you.
This is what I have learned by personal interviews and from what I have been able to research:
The Table Information:
• The table was supposedly carved in the 1920’s by a local artisan craftsman who catered to military officer personnel.
• It was supposedly crafted in the Mayon Volcano Region South East of Manila, which is due North of Legazpi City, according to a local Philippine who knows about Clark Air base when it was open in the Philippines in the 1920’s. He says that is the Volcano that is carved into the center of the table.
• The wood that the table is carved from is the Acacia Tree local to that island. The trees that were used are also carved into the scenery within the table carvings and on the backs of some of the chairs.
• All of the people carved into the scenes are dressed in Western clothing for the particular officer who ordered the table. It seems this was to show how much their culture had advanced since the military had become a common fixture in their society. They have also been given Western Styled shoes…this seems silly to me, but I think there is more to it than the story I have been given.
• We have also been told that this table was carved for an officer who was stationed at Clark during that timeframe of the 1920’s. It seems that this was a common practice for officers with the means to get such huge pieces of furniture stateside via an overseas container in a military vessel heading home.
• The dark stain is still the same and no modifications have been made.
• Some of the chairs are starting to get loose from the 80 plus years of daily use. We see that someone has tried to fix it a long time ago and it is in need of a professional who can take the chairs apart for a proper repair. The red velvet is original and it is showing wear, for sure. But, again, we did not wish to change or devalue the appearance of when it was first created and so we have left it as is for now.
• We have had to replace the glass on top with a tempered glass because the previous one had shattered and splintered into a million pieces during a shipping of the table to the Mt. Home AFB in Mountain Home, Idaho by the family that owned it before us.
• Do you think it unwise to make the repairs to the table and chairs or even to have the velvet replaced with a more neutral fabric or the dark stain removed to expose the true color of the wood we see on the top of the table?
The Hutch Information:
• We are led to understand that the Hutch is a match to this table. But, we do not see any markings or see any of the intricate carving that is common to the table anywhere on the hutch other than the scroll work on the top of the Hutch.
• There are a lot of the same type of stain and construction likenesses throughout the drawers and cabinet doors.
• There is a deep scratch on the base of the hutch on the top where the hutch top rests. We have not tried to fix it in that we were afraid of causing this set to be devalued because of our repair efforts.
We certainly appreciate your expertise in this adventure we are on. I do not want to muddy the water or take away from your professional appraisal, but for discussion, an individual many years ago gave us a “Verbal” appraisal of $20,000.00 plus for both pieces (Hutch, Table & Chairs), but she was looking through the eyes of someone who had these same type of tables that were brand new sitting in her furniture warehouse setting. None of which were as old as this set. This was from a store owner in San Francisco in the 1990’s. I do not remember where the store was located other than in the industrial area close to the Bay Bridge entrance section of town.
Mike ****
**********
*********
**********
I have lots of pictures. I just need a rough appraisal if possible.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just saw this portion to add photos. I have more with greater detail if needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am including this old letter as well for your added information. Thank You for your time in this matter.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the detailed information on your set.

I am sending an additional services offer to perhaps discuss this with you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you on the live discussion offer. I am not in a huge hurry for the appraisal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the 2nd offer I have received for live discussion offer. Can I just get the information I requested, please. If that is not something you are able to do then we should just stop this effort to sell me more products.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for getting back to me here.

I will opt-out and open your question to all the experts again at no additional charge to you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was referred to another appraiser by Nora on January 12th. Her note stated as follows: "Nora has referred you to a new Appraiser. You'll get a response here and by email typically within 24 hours." It is January 18th and no follow up has been received as to the request for an appraisal on our inquiry from January 11th by anyone. What are your intentions on fulfilling my request for a general appraisal about our items listed in our initial question?