Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of City Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

New York Times 11/23/1963

Customer Question

New York Times 11/23/1963
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Please know that I cannot accept any requests for "live conversations" such as phone calls. I must research up-to-date data to give the most accurate answer.

Sometimes my customers click the wrong button when they really do not want a "live conversation." Please be careful what choices you click on.

The day after JFK was shot.....this issue should be significant.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I should be back within 40 minutes.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Melita,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

I wish I could tell you that a newspaper printed the day after President John F. Kennedy was assassinated is very valuable. The problem is that everyone saved their copies of that issue, so they are anything but rare.

If your newspaper is in perfect condition, its current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $25. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount, or $10, depending on location and actual condition. As time goes on, the value may go up, but it is doubtful.

One more thing: make sure that plastic envelope is acid-free, or it will accelerate the yellowing of the paper.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Melita.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning your answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer, at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!

The is from a site that specializes in rare newspapers.

"The biggest problem with Kennedy papers is the simple rule of supply and demand. Because so many people kept these papers, there is a plentiful supply that collectors can tap into which makes their monetary value very low. (There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as afternoon editions of the Dallas newspapers and some "extra" editions that were printed the day of the assassination.

From a collection standpoint, most libraries already have microfilmed copies of the paper that are well-suited for research purposes. DPL, for example, has microfilm of the Denver Post, Rocky Mountain News, and New York Times, that include November 22, 1963. We also offer access to the New York Times Historical database, which includes electronic copies of articles from the paper of record."

From my research, I was able to determine a value of $250 for a pristine copy of the New York Times dated Nov 23, 1963 that not only included the Kennedy assassination but the news that Oswald was shot.

A private seller to a dealer or at auction can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put my name (Doris) at the first of the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Thank you.

The following image shows what your issue of the New York Times is selling for.

(It is $250 and not in as good a condition as yours). Please remember this is the current retail price.

I read the front page. Oswald is not mentioned; so, I must have been wrong there.

Please do not forget my need for a positive rating. It is the only way I am compensated by Just Answer for my work. It costs you nothing extra.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  twinb1201 replied 1 year ago.

Hi Melita,

I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item?

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com; experts are verified users. Experts are only compensated when and if you, the customer, leaves a favorable rating.

Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Let me know,
Kind regards,
Doris