LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I am trying to get a capodimonte appraised. It was purchased

Customer Question

I am trying to get a capodimonte appraised. It was purchased back in the 70's. I can't make out the artists signature. It is in mint condition, no chips or cracks. It is if a priest and 2 choir boys. Also the owner spent $2,000 on it back in the 70's. I would like to know it's worth. Thanks
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm trying to upload the picture of it. I can't figure out how to.
Expert:  rarewares replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. I got the picture of the figurine. Please also add one of the signature/marks by using the Add Files feature on your screen.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Signature

Lastly, are there marks on the bottom or any other marks on the piece? Please show those also.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. Just a capodimonte symbol.

Thank you, ***** ***** these pictures will help. I will have to opt-out because this signature is not any of the artists that I know from Capodimonte even though the styling looks like a Bruno Merli, the signature is not his. The next expert will use all of this information to answer at no extra cost to you.

Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am one of the expert appraisers here at justanswer. I have reviewed your piece and it is done in the guality of Capodimonte however it is not an authentic Capodimonte piece. In the 1920s other companies made and marketed items as Capodimonte. Some of these are indeed fine porcelain and marked as Capodimonte made in Italy. Many of them have some variation of the crown over Neopolitan N mark in their stamps; others more fully identify the factory where they were made, or their designer. As on your figurine it has five lines and the letter N it was made by another company and used the Capodimonte name. Some marks simply read Capodimonte Italy written in gold, and the quality of these pieces varies widely. These are the marks collectors will encounter most often when shopping for pieces today. These pieces were not made at the Royal Factory prior to its closing in the early 1800s, but a select number are still highly valued by collectors if the craftsmanship is of high caliber. Others more commonly found are poorly decorated and worth far less. These range from figurines to beautiful flowers. Less desirable home shopping channel items and those made of resin also fall into this category, and their value is usually quite low.

On the secondary market the value(###) ###-####00 For insurance purposes the value would be 2000.00 With the poor economy slow movement of these pieces you would see closer to 300-400.00 in todays market. No one will pay the value of the item as they would want to make a profit also. It is best to hold on to these pieces until the economy turns better and you can gain the best price for this item. It is a nice piece.

Thank you for the question and coming to justanswer. If I may be of further service please let me know I am always happy to help.

******

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site:

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello, I just wanted to check in and see if I may help you further on this. If not please rate my answer when you have a chance as this is how I am paid here from the site for my work. thank you, ***** ***** not cost you anything to rate the answer. It is just how I am paid. Thank you and have a wonderful New Year ahead.