Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

I have a bottle of mount ***** ***** pure rye whiskey

Customer Question

Customer: I have a bottle of mount ***** ***** pure rye whiskey bottled in bonnd the american medirinal spirits co.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer:***@******.***
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Antiques Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Timithy,

This is Robert here, thanks for asking me to help with your whiskey bottle question, I would be glad to.

Please ignore the computer generated gobbledygook you've just endured, it came from the JustAnswer site and not from me. I work 'on' but not 'for' the site as an independent agent.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of the bottle so I can see the condition of the label and volume of the contents, etc.

Many thanks and wait to hear,
Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer, it's a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have answered your request for photos, but I am not able to email the photos as I co not have your email address.

Sorry you are having difficulties adding the photos. Please by all means email them instead. The only address that gets to me is***@******.***

Mark the email for my attention, Robert S. in the Antiques category otherwise they won't know who to send it to. I work 'on' rather than 'for' JustAnswer as an independent agent so all emails have to go through a third party to protect everyone's privacy. It may take up to 24 hours, but I'll let you know as soon as I see it this end.

Many thanks

Robert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I shall try again.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The bottle is about half full. The cap is sealed with wax. The contents is clear until disturbed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HAVE YOU RECEIVED MY PHOTOS? (###) ###-####5096 CELL (###) ###-####

Thanks so much for the excellent photos, I can see exactly what you have now. These bottles of Mount Vernon Pure Rye Whiskey by the American Medicinal Spirits Company are hard to come by these days, so yours is quite a collectible item.

Unless one of the labels on the seals is legible, it's going to be hard to put an exact year on this bottle, but the main label looks to early 1930s, so it's getting up in age and, most importantly, dates from the Prohibition era or just shortly after. Prohibition (aka "the Noble Experiment") was enforced on June 30th, 1919 - the next day, July 1st, became known as the 'thirsty first'. The law of prohibition was repealed on 5th December 1933 and from then on it was up to individual states to enact their own laws for the control and use of alcohol. The last state to lift Prohibition was Mississippi which remained a dry state until 1966.

The National Distillers Products Corporation was one of the few distillers to prosper after Prohibition was lifted and they were kept 'alive' during prohibition by manufacturing for a bona fide marketing arm called the American Medicinal Spirits Company -as per the script on your bottle- as it was quite legal for doctors to prescribe alcohol for medicinal purposes.

Yours looks to be in fair condition, though the contents at half full suggest the seal may have been tampered with and re-waxed. The normal loss due to natural evaporation for a bottle this age would be shoulder height at the most.

Looking at recent comparables, this empty Mount Vernon bottle, with part of an original carton, sold on line in 2013 for $51 which is about representative. I would give yours an auction or eBay value in the range of $50 - $80.

It has a full retail or replacement value of $150 and is what you should insure it for.

I do hope this helps,

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,