Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a bronze bear sculpture by Edmund Schulte Beckhum.

Customer Question

I have a bronze bear sculpture by Edmund Schulte Beckhum. This is a small version (possibly a prototype) of the famous Macchi Bears at University of California, Berkeley.
The Macchi bears are the two reclining bears on the grass between O'Brien and Davis Halls, sculpted by Edmund Schulte Beckum in 1915 and installed in 1987 outside McLaughlin Hall. These bronze bear sculptures were purchased for the campus by engineering alumnus A. John Macchi, (Class of 1936) and thus named after him rather than the artist. Mine is a small version - It measures approximately 12" long X 6" wide x 4-1/4" high.
I have never seen another even after weeks of searching the Internet and antique sights. This Rare Bear is signed by the artist on one foot "Schulte Beckum". There are no numbers indicating a series.
I have it listed for sale but I am worried that it is greatly undervalued because of it's a rarity. Can you give me an idea of what this piece is worth and if there are any others in existence? Thank you.
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS I am still getting charged for each individual question even though I have an unlimited membership - I have also been charged twice for this question!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

At your convenience, please send images of the underside of this sculpture as well as a clear, in-focus close-up of the signature on it and the face of the bear. Please send the photos at your convenience. There is not an extra charge to provide more pictures here.

In regards ***** ***** charge question, please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, please email *****@******.***

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to attach more photos where it says "Add files" - but it's not letting me upload - not sure Why
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are more photos
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the images - do you have one of a close-up of the signature, please.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's two - they're in block letters
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

I am not able to find a comparable match to this for you to establish value. I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post their response here. You do not need to re-post your question.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? Can anyone help me? I have an offer on this item and don't want to lose it but I also do t want to give it away!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I really need an answer!
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

If you have received an offer, which are generally few and far between, my advice is to take it. You are really not giving away your item here.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please refund my $40 as I didn't get what I was looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's too late - please refund my $40
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi~

I will send your request to admin on your behalf, and I recommend you contact them from your end as well.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Experts do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form.

~Nora