Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Glenda. The question above got my attention. I also have a

Customer Question

Hi Glenda. The question above got my attention. I also have a painting originating with the W.T. Burger co, Reg #54984, artist Delarne. I can't find anything about the artist and also wonder if this should be insured.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.
My name is***** will be happy to help you.
.
Brief Explanation of how the appraisers work on Just Answer for you. The appraisers do not work for the just answer site. We come to the site to answer questions customers ask there. We do not send customers any messages through email. We only communicate with a customer in this message box. We do not send emails asking for anything. After we type a communication to you, you get notified by the site we sent you a message. Just like when you send us a response we get notified so we come to this message area to respond to you. We are not at the Just Answer site, we are independent Appraisers who come to the site.
.
Please Note: I am sorry I am unable to do live conversation per phone. There is data that needs to be obtained, this is always best in written form, in order to give a correct, honest appraisal.
.
Can you send me a picture of your painting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Original oil. Title "Paris". Purchased by me in early 1969.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I will see what I can find for you on this, I will get back with you soon.

Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

After researching this, I did not find any information on the artist. The artist's that the paintings were taken from by the W.T. Burger co, are not listed in any art data base. I did find information on the company.

The Thanhardt-Burger Corp. had its beginning in 1927 when Henry Thanhardt, who had immigrated to the United States from Austria and settled in Chicago, came to La Porte to start a framing business. Thanhardt had brought some pieces of fine art from Europe, and he was searching for a place to have them framed.

He discovered the Indiana Molding and Frame Co. in La Porte and decided to set up a similar business, also in La Porte, which he called The Leader Manufacturing Co. He was joined in this business in 1928 by Walter Burger, and, in 1933, the company was incorporated as the Thanhardt-Burger Corp.

In 1946, the W.T. Burger Co. was founded to provide art - both original and reproduction - for the company's frames. We believe that the prints with the "Reofect Paintings" trade name were probably not made until after 1933 - and maybe not until after 1946 - and their manufacture did not continue much after mid-century because the process to make them was prohibitively expensive.

They were typically retailed in department stores and art galleries and originally sold in the $150-$300 range. We further believe from our research that this was a high-tech (for the day) oil-based "photocopy" process that was surfaced with a special varnish that made the print look like an oil painting.

.
Thanhardt-Burger Corp., the artwork and frame business LaPorte, burned Saturday morning, March 16, 2013, at its most recent location at*****, across from the City of LaPorte Indiana

.

Does your painting look like it is an original oil painting or one of their reproduction works?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The piece appears to be an oil painting and is labeled as such.
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.
.
The Original Oil Painting signed has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $650.00-725.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. For insurance purposes ( cost replacement ) the value is 45-50% higher.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

PS:
I would greatly appreciate it if you took a moment to rate my answer to you. You do so by clicking the stars, this is the only way I am paid for my time answering your question. Doing so does not cost you any additional money, I am paid by the Just Answer site, not the customer.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going. Let me know if you still need help with this questions, as I see it is not rated yet. If there was a problem with the answer I provided for you?
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

.
Thank you so much!
Glenda