A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612

I live in Los Angeles. I inherited 2 sets of Noritake china.

Customer Question

I live in Los Angeles. I inherited 2 sets of Noritake china. Where can I take them to be appraised and how much should that costs?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  SuperiorConsultant replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Do you have any serving pieces? If so, what do you do have?

Are you looking for a secondary market (resale) value or an insurance value?

Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Arthur Parton (1842-1911)

"Known as a Hudson River School painter, especially of mountain landscapes, Arthur Parton was well established in the New York art world where he exhibited at the National Academy of Design for more than half a century. He was born in Hudson, New York to a religious family supported by a cabinetmaker father. He enrolled in the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts as a student of William Trost Richards, who remained a strong influence, and in 1862, his first exhibitions were in Philadelphia.

In 1864, he moved to New York City where he exhibited regularly with the National Academy of Design excepting 1869 when he spent a year in Europe and was influenced by the Barbizon style of painting.

In 1874, he and his wife moved into the Tenth Street Building in New York City, and he kept his studio there until 1893. In 1876, he gained much national notoriety at the Philadelphia Centennial Exposition for his paintings November, Loch Lomond and Solitude.

He spent summers painting in the Adirondacks and Catskill Mountains and also in England and Scotland as indicated by his entry at the Philadelphia Exposition.

During his career, he explored several styles including Tonalism and Impressionism but seemed to remain most closely influenced by the Hudson River style including Luminism."

Sources include:
Michael David Zellman, 300 Years of American Art
Peter Falk, 300 Years of American Art

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine a retail art gallery value of $16,000-19,000 assuming good to fair condition.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to request me in the future, just type "Doris" at the first of the question.

Thank you.

I am so sorry but my mouse slipped into your question. I wrote an answer to another question here with yours.

I will release your question (opt-out) so that another professional can answer you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

Do you have pictures of the back stamp of both sets of china? That is the best way to identify them. If so, please post them and I will see if I can identify them for you.

This is an information request, not an answer, so please don't rate it, even if prompted to do so.

Thanks,

Schuyler

~