Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques and Collectibles Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs. Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

Researching some WW2 or korean war art with a signature of

Customer Question

Researching some WW2 or korean war art with a signature of W.S. They are watercolor with some ink.
One is Hitler and s fat officer, almost a caricature, saluting each other with open palm. The general is holding a model plane, Another is Philippines or jungle locale with a helicopter hovering over several men.
They're also signed in blue ink "Lucky" in script
Category: Appraisals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One painting or sketch (jungle scene) is approx 10 x 12 landscape view, on a cardboard type stock. The other looks to be from a sketchpad app 12 x 15 portrait view, This is the one that has the initials W.S. on it. They both are signed Lucky in script, with a swirl under it almost like a zigzag. The jungle scene is shades of grey or a washed black to different degrees. There's one spot with white paint to highlight a distant plane. The one with Hitler has red on the general's uniform. This one also has an impressed seal with Strathmore - use either side in a circle, probably a mfg. mark from the pad.
Expert:  Tim in Appraisals replied 1 year ago.

Good day, my name is***** watercolor is most likely Hitler and Hermann Goring, who was in charge of the Nazi air force. I need to see images of the watercolors. You can attach them using the paperclip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures sent. I thought I had attached them before but I guess I didn't do something right

Thank you for the photos. I will see what I can find.

I currently in the field and unable to do more research until Fri. If you need an answer before then let me know and I will opt out. This will reopen the question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in no rush with this. It isn't urgent.

Thank you. How did you acquire them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dad had them. I believe he got them from the artist at the end of the war. Possibly stationed with him

I have looked through my reference material and did not find the artist. So suggest you have Swann Auction Galleries look at them. They specialize in printed material, posters and illustration art. One of their specialists might recognize the artist. Here is the contact information:

Christine von der Linn

(###) ###-####ext. 20
*****@******.***

or

John D. Larson

Phone:(###) ###-####ext. 61

E-mail: *****@******.***