rarewares
rarewares, Other
Experience:  Appraiser
68269273

Please provide any information, including value on this

Customer Question

Please provide any information, including value on this piece of art. It is heavy and I think it is made of plaster. It has several nicks on the edges. It doesn't have any markings on the bottom. It is curved and also has a design on the back. Thank you.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.

This a a 1964-1969 durastone ( a mixture of crushed stone and slurry) decorative sculpture made by Austin Productions. It is a cubist representation of a string quintet, made popular by the works of Pablo Picasso at the time. Austin Productions was founded in 1952 in Brooklyn, N.Y., as a museum reproduction company featuring selections from great art collections of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, Asian, African and Contemporary sculpture. The site in Brooklyn expanded several times before the firm moved its facility to Holbrook, N.Y., in 1971. The ceased production in 2008. This piece has a value of $150.00 to $175.00.

Please do click the stars to rate me and to close out this question, thank you.