Robert S.
Robert S., Appraiser
Experience:  20+ years of experience in appraisals.
63759197

I would like to have a pottery piece made by Val Cushing

Customer Question

I would like to have a pottery piece made by Val Cushing appraised by Robert S if possible. The piece is signed on the bottom and stands 17" tall. Thank You
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

Hi! This is Robert here, just letting you know I've got your new question about the Val Cushing piece and I'll have an answer for you as soon as I can.

Many thanks,
Robert

Expert:  Robert S. replied 1 year ago.

This magnificent ewer pitcher is a very imposing piece and must make quite an impact wherever it is placed on display.

It's by another highly regarded ceramic artist and teacher, Val Cushing, best known for the “Alfred Pot,” which is sturdy, useful, and immaculately potted and glazed and with an emphatic masculine quality, which exactly describes this piece. The donut handle is also a signature feature of his and elevates the ewer into a distinctly mid-century modern top drawer. I also very much like the textured swirl pattern on the lower section, a decorative technique employing a chattering tool, a springy piece of thin metal used during turning on the wheel.

Val Cushing (b. Rochester, NY 1931 - 2013) is something of a legend in the teaching of ceramic arts in America in the late 20th century. Examples of his work can be found in nearly every major ceramics book that has been published in the last 25 years (as well as in the permanent collection of many prestigious museums.) Cushing retired after 40 years of teaching ceramics at Alfred University, Alfred, NY, considered the premier university in the country for the study of ceramics. He was Professor Emeritus and much of Alfred's reputation is due to Cushing's influence and guidance. Val Cushing is also highly respected (and widely collected) on an international scale. Examples of his work can be found in the permanent collections of many of the world’s most prestigious museums including the American Craft Museum, the Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian Intitution, the Brooklyn Museum of Art, the International Museum of Ceramic Art in Japan, the Cooper Hewitt Museum, and the Ohi Museum of Ceramics.

As for value, this example of one of his large ewers sold on line last year for $1300 which is a top eBay price, but I would say yours, being even more decoratively colored would do just as well. I would give it an auction/eBay value in the range of $1000 - $1400 and therefore a replacement/insurance value of at least $3000.

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,
Robert