Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine & Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about Norman Rockwell - s

Customer Question

You seem to be quite knowledgeable about Norman Rockwell - his prints, at least. What do you think about the many series of plates produced with his work on them? I have been a collector of Rockwell memorabilia (almost anything except his actual painted art!) for 30+ years - since just before his death. I have seen the prices & values of Rockwell plates & other memorabilia continuously drop over the years. I continue to buy, however, because I don't look at the stuff as an investment, I look at them as items of beauty that I enjoy having and looking at around my home (I have over 800 of his plates around the walls of my home). Out of curiosity though, do you feel that the prices of his plates and other memorabilia items will ever come back up and ever really be in great favor again, as they once were in the early 80's? Thanks so much! Alan XXXXXXXXXXXX, Temecula, CA
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alan,

I have handled a large number of Norman Rockwell art inlcuding authenticating and brokering sales of his major original works that have sold at auction for record prices. My mentor at Illustration House, ***** *****, who passed recently at age 97, was Rockwell's teaching assistant and I am privileged to have learned from him. Original artwork by Rockwell will continue to increase in value. His actual hand signed prints that were sanctioned by the museum also will remain buoyant on the collector market. Unfortunately, however, mass production, limited runs of plates will likely not see price fervor that they did in the 1980's especially in our lifetimes. The best way to collect, as you stated yourself, is for the aesthetic enjoyment of the objects. Profit zones are simply a secondary bonus.

~Nora