Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner, Nashville Appraisals Corporation
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Best of Nashville Two Years.Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum
19572128

I have an original water color of the by the late

Customer Question

I have an original water color of the by the late Ross Shellenberger of Libertyville, Illinois of one of his two favorite subjects. It is 20x25 inches. It is of the Milwaukee Road Train cars after they were abandoned probably in Round Lake. Had it for 30 years. I know Ross passed a few years back.
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Thank you for the excellent photo.

What are the sight dimensions of your painting, not including the mat or frame?

Kind regards,

Doris

PS: Meanwhile, please don't rate me until you get a full appraisal and a value from me. I mention this because you may get random prompts asking you to rate me before I've submitted an answer. Ignore them. They are automatically generated by the system (it doesn't seem to be able to distinguish an answer from preparatory back-and-forth and information gathering) and don't come from me.

Thanks, Doris

In rereading your question, I see you did give the dimensions. Thank you so much!

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Ross Shellenberger Obituary:

Birth: Aug. 6, 1936
Death: Sep. 9, 2014

"Ross E. Shellenberger, 78, passed away Tues. Sept. 9, 2014 at his home in Center Point, IA . He was born Aug. 6, 1936 in Chicago and moved to Libertyville when he was 10 years old. He was a 1954 graduate of LHS and received his Masters Degree in Fine Arts from Northern Illinois University. He was the art teacher at Highland School and Libertyville High School for a total of 37 years. He was extremely proud of his former students and their success in the arts. Ross enjoyed singing and was a member of his church choir and a group called the Vocalaires. He also enjoyed hunting and fishing, operating a charter boat on Lake Michigan for 27 years. Ross was a magnificent artist, loved his family and his dear friends."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this standard method, I was able to determine an estimated auction value of $220-240 for you Shallenberger watercolor.

This means a retail art gallery would charge $480-520 for your watercolor assuming excellent condition.

Selling art:

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to retail try the following -

I suggest the you try artbrokerage.com selling

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

Plus try ads on sites such as

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small or not existent.

A private seller to a dealer can expect 30-60% of retail value.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am compensated by JA for my time and effort. This is of no cost to you.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty, site charges or current appraisal values - all three are beyond my control.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is totally ridiculous and wrong answer. Ross Shellenberger's work when I bought it was $2000. After an artist of his caliber passes away, the value increases, if he is collectible and noted in the area which he is. This site is a sham and I will not pay. And you wasted my time. I will be complaining