A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
3157612

I do not have the doll now and can only remember how much I

Customer Question

I do not have the doll now and can only remember how much I loved her and would just love to know more about her if possible. She came in a large box a 3'x3' box. I got her in the late 60's or early 70's. She had short blonde hair and she was large, about a foot tall. She was a model and she came with 4 outfits with accessories. One outfit was a pink chiffon short evening dress with rhinestones at the waist, another outfit was a green and white day dress, another out fit was a blue wool suit with red trim and the 4th outfit was a purple and blue bodysuit with a jacket and skirt. She had hats, gloves, sunglasses, shoes, etc. I loved playing with her and wish I had never given her away. Could you give me any information about her please?
Category: Appraisals
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 1 year ago.

From your description I think this was the Candy fashion doll from Deluxe Reading Reading Corporation. Here she is with a picture of her box: http://www.museumofplay.org/online-collections/2/28/91.2009

Occasionally you will find one on ebay. You can follow this link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-Reading-Candy-Doll-Box-and-Accessories-Vintage-1950s-/271838176856

Deluxe Reading Corporation was in Elizabeth, NJ and also produced toys under other brand names. The one you may remember from childhood is Topper Toys and they advertised on every children's TVshow I can remember :-) They were also the folks behind the "Dream Kitchen."

Candy was 21"-24" high and was made from 1958-1965. A smaller version (18" tall) was reproduced by the Charisma Company in 2006, including reproduction of her wardrobe. Size is the best way to tell them apart.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

~